Buying a used Ipad, previous owner had unlimited 3G. Will I be able to keep it??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Shanewilliams, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Ive searched for a used Ipad and luckily finally found one. It actually ends up that a friend of mine is getting ready to sell hers. Its the wifi+3g model and shes had the unlimited 3g since day 1. I havent had a chance to talk with her much about it, but im meeting her tomorrow after work. My question is, since she has the unlimited 3g at this moment, is there anyway for me to keep it? Since its not a phone I would assume that Ill get the sim card. Is that what the unlimited plan is tied to? I might be looking into this to much, but I really think this would be possible. Has anyone had any experience in this??

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im not sure if she would agree to it, but if she were to leave it as it is now, could I just use my credit card to pay for it? Itd really be no different then her changing the card that she is currently using to pay for it each month. If unlimited is definately out, then I might as well just buy a new wifi model instead.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Nope, there is no way to preserve unlimited 3G service.

5. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, 2 votes for a "no" is enough for me not to need the 3G model. Thanks! just saved me a lot of heartache!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this a person you know? Regardless I would not do it even for someone I know.

7. Shanewilliams thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, maybe more then a friend. Its my ex-wife's(my daughters mother) Luckily, we are still friends and have been friends since we were kids. We got married young while I was on active duty and it just didnt work out, we had 2 different visions for our lives. I probably trust her more then anyone in the world. She basically got something that she didn't need and has no idea how to use it and just wants to get what she can out of it. As much as I want an Ipad, its really more about helping her out then anything as I know what she needs the money for. Right now I just dont have the money to give. Ive gotten remarried and as much as my wife and ex get along, it would make my life at home very unpleasant for me just to give my exwife $500!

8. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

Don't forget though the 3G has real GPS. And you never know, if you happen to travl overseas it's mighty handy to be able to just purchase a Pay As You Go micro-sim.