Buying a used iPhone 4(s) on eBay/Craigs and transferring account?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryukouki, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Ryukouki macrumors regular

I'm considering looking into getting an old iPhone 4(s) on eBay and Craigs. I know I need to look for the clean ESN and all that. My dumb phone is on its last legs with freezing issues, and I'm only 13 months into my Verizon contract. Would it be possible to (when I receive the iphone) to deactivate the old dummy phone, and use the iphone, even though I'm on contract? Would that force me to pay an ETF? I'm trying to keep this as low as possible in terms of money, and I heard you can do it online. I'm also aware of the data plans being tacked on to the phone.

What's the cheapest way and is it possible?

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

You would learn alot by reading the forums here. And you will find that your contract is NOT tied to your phone. YOu can switch phones daily if you want.

Your contract is tied to the line.

3. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Great! And lol there's way too much flotsam on this particular forum with the new iPhone out lol. >_>

4. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You can make the switch online as well if you don't want to go into a Verizon store. If you are registered for myverizon, all the info is there to make the switch.

5. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

You won't incur a ETF charge just by changing phones. Now if you terminated your contract with VZW completely and moved to, say, AT&T, then you would have to pay a ETF.

Since you're switching to a smartphone, it might be best to call VZW and speak to a sales rep. They can point you in the right direction as to what data plan to add to your account. You can then run the ESN number by them to ensure the iPhone is clean and you're able to activate it on your account.

6. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Thats the kind of feedback I need. Thanks! I'm definitely not gonna be able to terminate for a while, I hate paying more money lol! Thanks for the advice and heads up! :) And theoretically, let's just say, hey I bought an iPhone. I decided to run this stupid dumb phone dry, but want to use the iPhone as a temporary ipod of sorts with music and whatnot. Can I use the wifi on the iPhone and not incur any charges? Or is there some activation involved that will net me charges?