Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Buying Advice for the new 2020 27 iMac

virnew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
Hello,
I've been studying software engineering with a MacBook Air for the past 4 years as well as produced music in Logic Pro.
Now that I've finished my degree I want to move on with my professional life and I'm thinking about the new 27 iMac.
My only doubt here is processor, thinking between de top i5, i7 and i9.

Comparing them in the intel website, in terms of technologies they are the same, the only difference is number of cores and a slight difference in single core performance.

I understand that the higher I go, the most performance I'll get, but I'm not really sure if that'll be an overkill.

I don't know if working with Xcode for iPhone, Jetbrain Suite for Java and C/C++ and making electronic pop records of about 30 tracks per songs will do enough with the i5.

The problem that I see with buying the i7 model is having to pay for the increase in graphic memory which I don't need at all.

Thank you very much !

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
For iMacs, if one "can't decide", the "midrange" CPU is often the best compromise between power, price, heat, fan noise, etc. ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.