Buying Advice: How do I compare Newer and older Use/New Mac models to each other

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Maculas, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Maculas, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

Maculas macrumors newbie

Basically I need help deciphering what the various specifications of Apples computer models have on true performance in comparison to each other.
    -

I've never followed/learned what processors are better than others and why as well as other things.
    My understanding is mostly limited to why I'd want a big HD (obvious) A rough understanding that I'd want an SSD (but not for everything) and that Ghz and Ram are big factors. I know more software than hardware...

I need help Identifying the computers I'd want to avoid, and which ones are actually faster for what I do.
    Mac Mini 2011 2.5 GHZ Dual Core i5 vs Mac Mini 2011 2.0 GHZ Quad Core i7 vs iMac 2009 2.66 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor for example.

Also Geekbench numbers, how useful are those for figuring this out? Based off the basic raw score, can I compare two Mac models and determine which is more of an upgrade than my iMac 7,1? (which isn't on Geekbench unfortunately)

Right now I'm rating them based off of available ports and age (newer must be better..).
    I'm not sure what to do with an older computer with an older processor with Higher GHZ than a newer machine with lower GHz, and then there are graphics cards…

I really hope there is a better website for that sort of thing than Geekbench.
    The 32 Bit/ 64 Bit tabs on that website did not make my life easier…