Buying Advice

blairbeckwith

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Hey everybody,

I bought a 17-inch i7 MBP for university last week. I was enrolled in a Computer Science honours program, so I felt this would be an awesome machine for the program.

However, I have since decided to drop out, take a year off working full time, and reapply to a Commerce program for next fall. I'll probably be majoring in Economics or International Business.

Now, I'm pretty sure a 17-inch i7 MBP is overkill for a commerce program. But, I also need a computer, as it's the only machine I have. So, the way I see it, I have a few options...

1) Keep the 17-inch, knowing it's overkill and very expensive.
2) Return the 17-inch and buy a 13/15 inch (what do you think) + a 16 GB 3G iPad. If I get the 13-inch, I'll probably also purchase an iPhone 4 or Blackberry 9700/9780.
3) Return the 17-inch, and just buy an iPad to get me through my year off, and buy whatever the newest Macbook pro is closer to the start of next year.

What do you guys think the best option would be? I'm eighteen years old, and live alone without any assistance from family, and have been doing so for two years, so the money from option 3 might help me. The other side is, I'll be working full time so I can afford to keep living without the money from #3.

E/ Just realized I have the worst topic title ever. I'm very sorry.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
I would bring back the 17 inch and wait for the school computer requirements since you might have to use Windows and maybe option 3 however i would wait

Comment

djourd

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2008
That computer is even overkill for a computer science program. Also a note on option 3. You need a computer to use an iPad.

Comment

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
i would definitely return the 17 i7 and probably pick up a 13inch .. i dont think i would pick up an iPad

Comment

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I would bring back the 17 inch and wait for the school computer requirements since you might have to use Windows and maybe option 3 however i would wait
That computer is even overkill for a computer science program. Also a note on option 3. You need a computer to use an iPad.
Way to read the entire post:
I have since decided to drop out, take a year off working full time, and reapply to a Commerce program for next fall. I'll probably be majoring in Economics or International Business.

OP, return the 17", buy a 13" MBP which you can use for YEARS, and pass on the iPad, a luxury item you don't need (and whose functionality is exceeded by the MBP). This makes most sense and saves $.

Comment

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
I don't see the use in the 17 anymore, like everyone else. I have a 13 inch and have used that for university very effectively. You could drop all the way down the ladder and get the 13 or split the difference and get the 15 inch.

Also, if the professors require certain applications, it might be easier to get a computer with that or those already installed (even if it is a PC).

Most things on a PC can be done on a mac (and usually with a free app), so i don't see much use in waiting to see unless you are in a computer major (which you dropped).

Comment

blairbeckwith

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 14, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I want at least an i-Series processor, so I think I'm going to do the following...

Return the 17-inch and pick up an iPad. I can run over to my parents house and use my Dad's computer if I ever *really* need a computer in the next year.

As soon as specs on the next Macbook Pro revision are announced, I'll pick the smallest physical laptop with an i-Series processor.

Comment