Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairbeckwith, Aug 3, 2010.

  1. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

    May 14, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey everybody,

    I bought a 17-inch i7 MBP for university last week. I was enrolled in a Computer Science honours program, so I felt this would be an awesome machine for the program.

    However, I have since decided to drop out, take a year off working full time, and reapply to a Commerce program for next fall. I'll probably be majoring in Economics or International Business.

    Now, I'm pretty sure a 17-inch i7 MBP is overkill for a commerce program. But, I also need a computer, as it's the only machine I have. So, the way I see it, I have a few options...

    1) Keep the 17-inch, knowing it's overkill and very expensive.
    2) Return the 17-inch and buy a 13/15 inch (what do you think) + a 16 GB 3G iPad. If I get the 13-inch, I'll probably also purchase an iPhone 4 or Blackberry 9700/9780.
    3) Return the 17-inch, and just buy an iPad to get me through my year off, and buy whatever the newest Macbook pro is closer to the start of next year.

    What do you guys think the best option would be? I'm eighteen years old, and live alone without any assistance from family, and have been doing so for two years, so the money from option 3 might help me. The other side is, I'll be working full time so I can afford to keep living without the money from #3.

    E/ Just realized I have the worst topic title ever. I'm very sorry.
  2. maril1111 macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2010
    I would bring back the 17 inch and wait for the school computer requirements since you might have to use Windows and maybe option 3 however i would wait
  3. djourd macrumors member

    Dec 15, 2008
    That computer is even overkill for a computer science program. Also a note on option 3. You need a computer to use an iPad.
  4. jetjaguar macrumors 68030


    Apr 6, 2009
    i would definitely return the 17 i7 and probably pick up a 13inch .. i dont think i would pick up an iPad
  5. eawmp1 macrumors 601


    Feb 19, 2008
    Way to read the entire post:

    OP, return the 17", buy a 13" MBP which you can use for YEARS, and pass on the iPad, a luxury item you don't need (and whose functionality is exceeded by the MBP). This makes most sense and saves $.
  6. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

    Corrosive vinyl

    Sep 22, 2006
    I don't see the use in the 17 anymore, like everyone else. I have a 13 inch and have used that for university very effectively. You could drop all the way down the ladder and get the 13 or split the difference and get the 15 inch.

    Also, if the professors require certain applications, it might be easier to get a computer with that or those already installed (even if it is a PC).

    Most things on a PC can be done on a mac (and usually with a free app), so i don't see much use in waiting to see unless you are in a computer major (which you dropped).
  7. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

    May 14, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the opinions everyone. I want at least an i-Series processor, so I think I'm going to do the following...

    Return the 17-inch and pick up an iPad. I can run over to my parents house and use my Dad's computer if I ever *really* need a computer in the next year.

    As soon as specs on the next Macbook Pro revision are announced, I'll pick the smallest physical laptop with an i-Series processor.
  8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Jul 5, 2008
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #8 have to have a computer to keep your iPad updated.
  9. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

    May 14, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Software updates? I'm at my parents house enough to update it every few weeks or whatever.

Share This Page