Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
On launch day of the 4S, even if you bought phones outright, they seemed to still have checked to make sure you have service with them before letting you buy the iPhone...and they didn't sell the factory unlocked ones until later.

If I am buying someone this new phone for someone else on AT&T outright, is there a way to do it without them verifying all the account crap on launch day? I would have the full cash, I see no reason for them to have to verify the account. But they did for our Verizon 4S on launch day, even though that was an outright purchase as well.

Does anyone know the official Apple policies at all?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
From Apple you should be able to just pay full price and walk out.
If you go to AT&T or verizon for example they will want to sell them to their customers and tie them into a contract or if not contract they will at least make sure they have an account.
Carrier stores get very little supply on launch day even for the first few months they still stocked low. Some stores only get 10-15 phones and they have a huge line waiting. They wont want to give you one of those phones without an account or without signing a contract with them. They'll tell you to go to Apple.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If its like the iPhone 4s launch, it'll be about a month later when Apple starts selling unlocked ones.

Seems like first dibs after a launch goto contract customers, even at Apple Stores.

http://m.engadget.com/2011/11/11/apples-us-online-store-begins-selling-unlocked-contract-free-i/

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/15/apple-already-selling-unlocked-contract-free-iphone-4s-in-the-united-states/

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If its like the iPhone 4s launch, it'll be about a month later when Apple starts selling unlocked ones.

Seems like first dibs after a launch goto contract customers, even at Apple Stores.

http://m.engadget.com/2011/11/11/apples-us-online-store-begins-selling-unlocked-contract-free-i/

http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/15/apple...contract-free-iphone-4s-in-the-united-states/

Well we plan on using this on AT&T, but the problem is they verify your account even though we are buying it full cash...and I am not on the account. If they allow you to buy it outright without checking the account, then we should be good to go.

When I got our Verizon 4S' they checked to see if we had Verizon and crosschecked everything even though we were buying it outright. I am hoping they don't end up doing the same on AT&T on launch day.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
When the iPhone 4 was released I bought two from my local AT&T store as gifts for family members. After they learned they were gifts, the sales associate had the manager approve the sale without assigning the phones to the recipients accounts. I was very impressed, yet not surprised since I've always enjoyed courteous & professional assistance.

Besides paying for the phones, I signed a provisional contract to assign service upon activation. Two weeks later was the party, I presented them with the phones, they called AT&T right then to evoke activation & in mere minutes they were up & running. The process was efficient, fast & smooth.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Well we plan on using this on AT&T, but the problem is they verify your account even though we are buying it full cash...and I am not on the account. If they allow you to buy it outright without checking the account, then we should be good to go.

When I got our Verizon 4S' they checked to see if we had Verizon and crosschecked everything even though we were buying it outright. I am hoping they don't end up doing the same on AT&T on launch day.

Why not bring the account holder with you or have them add you as an authorized user on the account so you wont have any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.