Buying an Buying an Iphone 4s as an Ipod Touch for the moment?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TheComposer, Oct 7, 2011.

1. TheComposer macrumors member

Hey guys what's up.

Well, being an Apple noob, and considering having a first Apple product, I was thinking if it was a good idea to buy the new Iphone 4s (At & T) but using it exclusively as an Ipod Touch for the moment, you know, for gaming, web browsing, the extra hardware, and that nice 1080 p camera!!

Obviously i'd be buying it from the Apple store and choose some random contract (At & T I think), for 200 USD just for the price and specs.

Do you think it'll be a good idea? I already have some cheap cellphone, so i'll be ok, what i'm really looking here is the Gaming, Apps capabilities of the device.

And, being said all this, 2 more questions:

1.-Is there a chance the new Iphone 4S can be Jailbroken just like the other Iphones? This would mean a lot to me. I don't mind if it's sooner or later, just wanna make sure i'll be able to do it "eventually"

2.-About unlocking it for the future: As I already stated, my basic use for the phone would be as an ipod touch (jailbreaking being the main issue), but, do you think that "eventually" i'll be able to unlock the phone so i can use it in my country, since i'm not upgrading, i'll be fine waiting a whole year, more or less, it's not my priority.

That's it, thanks for taking your time to read, great forum!!

2. Amor de Papel macrumors newbie

That would be a huge waste of money. You'll have to pay for two years of a contract, per month. This'll add up to a lot of money.
    It'll be jailbroken someday. All the iPhones can be jailbroken at some point.
    At some point sooner or later, it can be unlocked. By that time, there might be some used ones that you can buy at a reasonable price.

I wouldn't buy a 4S with a contract just to use it as an iPod Touch.

3. TheComposer thread starter macrumors member

Well that's reasonable, and does it matter if i live in Mexico for instance? do i still have to pay the contract?

4. Amor de Papel macrumors newbie

Mmmm... I don't know. I think you would since you're getting the contract discount. :)