Buying an iMac- online reseller or an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by duncyboy, Mar 4, 2008.

1. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

H'lo,

I may just be able to afford my iMac at the end of this month- I plan on buying the entry-level 20" iMac, the £800 one.

Now- I've found a couple of resellers online, one of which is www.play.com, who sell it for £760. I also live about one hours drive from the Trafford Centre in Manchester.

Now- where should I buy from? Play.com is £40 cheaper, free delivery also but I have to wait for it to be delivered. And if there's a problem- stuck pixel or something- and it needs to go back then I have to return it in the post at my own cost and wait for the replacement. If I were to order from an online reseller and there's a problem, could I take it to the Apple Store for a straight swap or would they just laugh me out of the shop?

Should I just swap the small, extra expense for the convenience of buying it direct from the Apple Store where I can always return the same day for a replacement?

Any opinions welcome :) :apple:

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

if you buy it from apple - and they decide to upgrade the model line within 14 day's you can return it for a stocking fee and get the updated version.

IMO i would go with a refurb they have had some really good deals on the refurb store for the iMacs

like this 24" 2.4 - not a bad deal at £949

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA878

3. duncyboy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers for the reply.

I had considered a refurb and will see what's available at the end of the month. I assumed that the alleged update for the iMac line would be in the next week or two and any refurb's would be long gone- will see what payday brings.

To be honest though, my budget is either £800 or wait another month- so I'll have to wait and see... :)

4. Irfan macrumors newbie

Student discount on refurbs?

Does anyone know if you get the education discount on refurbs?

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

nope - although you may be able to use a discount voucher like the £23 off to bring the price down.

if your looking at buying a refurb you may get very good discount on apple care if you phone them up and bargain with them
    or not - depends on who you get :eek: