Buying an iMac with Mavericks 10.9 pre-installed from the 22nd onwards?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TwoBytes, Oct 18, 2013.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

So Mavericks comes out on the 22nd; how long do you guys think it will take for Apple to ship iMacs pre-installed with 10.9? I wonder if the SSD drives are all pre-installed in the factory before the iMacs are put together or if they are installed with the machine built. Thought it would make an interesting discussion :)

I'm ready to buy now but happy to wait until the 23rd!

2. Bear macrumors G3

In the past major versions of OS X have had some time between the announcement of the release date and the actual release date.

As for when Mavericks will be pre-installed on new systems, are you ordering a stock configuration or a BTO unit? They may start building iMacs with Mavericks starting on the day Mavericks is released or it could take a bit to update the manufacturing line. A stock unit is normally one that is pulled off a shelf in a warehouse, so it may take additional time to get one with Mavericks pre-installed as compared to when a BTO unit will get Mavericks.

3. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

I'm receiving a new 2013 BTO 27-inch iMac as a replacement for my 2012 BTO 27-inch iMac. Right now it really seems like Apple is pushing delivery forward because of OS X Mavericks. Last Thursday the online store indicated a shipping date of 7-10 business days for my configuration. As of yesterday it says "3-5 business days" for the same iMac. Both coincide with October 22nd with few days to spare.

4. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Thanks Bear, it will be a BTO system. I could order on Monday and hope for the best..

Intersting n-evo, maybe Apple have internally had the cut off so all iMacs ordered now come with Mavericks and are pushed back in delivery time as a consequence

5. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Usually the software is available immediately on new macs. And if not, you'll get a free upgrade/download soon after I would imagine. But Mavericks should come preinstalled on all macs ordered after the 22nd is my guess.

6. Bear macrumors G3

You're presuming that the announcement date and the release date are the same. This may or may not be true.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Drives are pre-images in batches at the factory before the machines are built. I ordered a new 27" in 2011. Lion came out on July 24th or so, can't remember exact date. I waited until August 6th to order my BTO to confirm that machines were finally shipping with Lion pre-installed. I could have ordered 3-4 days earlier and probably still have it on there.

Now I ordered a new 2013 27" this week and should get it today or Monday. I'll just go ahead and up to date the order. Not really concerned about it.

8. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

While that's true, OS X Mavericks went GM last week. It's probable we'll see general availability Tuesday.

9. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering how do they handle the in-store iMacs since they just came out, does Apple just send all the stores another batch with installed Mavericks the day it's supposed to be available and just return the Mountain Lion ones???

10. Bear macrumors G3

They handle the in store inventory via the up to date program they will announce when they announce Mavericks release date.

11. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

12. California King macrumors 65816

I have the same question too. Asked tech support, but they are not sure at the moment. This isn't a definite answer, but if you click on "Compare Desktops" it does say they all come with Mavericks.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/imac

13. Jaguarxl macrumors member

Jaguarxl

It doesn't matter anymore... OSX Mavericks is free!! \o/\o/\o/

14. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

And don't forget any Mac purchased after October 1st will also get the full iWork and iLife suites for free. So except for the box art it doesn't really matter either way.

15. richard13 macrumors 6502a

It would be really great if people who receive their new iMacs in the coming days could let us know what was pre-installed. ;)

16. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

My iMac is scheduled for delivery sometime tomorrow. I'll let you know as soon as possible.

17. KaraH macrumors 6502

When I ordered my system from small dog on the 1st they said apple would take 5-10 days. As of last Friday they still had not got an update from apple. Then on Monday it started shipping from Small Dog and is due to arrive tonight. While it may be wishful thinking, I am hoping apple held it a few days for mavicks, then was a little early since small dog is an apple dealer anyway and could verify I would get the system after the 22nd.

If not I just click download on my new system tonight before going to bed for the night. Then be antsy all day tomorrow waiting to configure it, migrate my data, and start playing.

18. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Yesterday I promised to get back to you once I received my iMac.

So... I just finished unpacking and the box art is still OS X Mountain Lion's. It also came with OS X Mountain Lion and iLife '11 pre-installed. I find this all a bit odd, but I figure I shouldn't complain too much since the App Store immediately notified me of OS X Mavericks, new iWork and iLife versions.

19. California King macrumors 65816

When did you place your order again?

20. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I can tell you that it will be another week before new BTO units ordered are built with 10.9 Mavericks imaged drives.

21. n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

The iMac was ordered for me on October 10 and shipped on October 21.