Buying an iPad 3G just to sell it again, good short-term investment?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SteveMobs, Apr 4, 2010.

1. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Thanks for clicking in.

So, I had always wanted to do this with video game systems, which I don't play, and so would like to capitalize on the kids/people who forgot to reserve them. Well, I wasn't sure with the iPad, but now I'm seeing each wi-fi model sell for at least $100 above msrp on eBay/CL. My question for you all was, do you think the 3G iPad will have just as big of an opportunity for profit? And, which model 16, 32, 64 would be the most popular/safest?

Thanks,
    -Steve

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

People are making decent profits selling to international buyers. I don't understand how people are selling them domestic, given most stores seem to still have them.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I live in DC, and I walked into Pentagon City yesterday at 4pm and picked up a 64GB iPad in 3 minutes...so you have no market on CL. Most of the demand will be satisfied by the Wifi version, so my guess is the 3G version will be plentiful given additional time to manufacture, and most of the demand will be fulfilled by initial demand to get whatever people can as early as possible. eBay maybe for international buyers, but it's really not worth the hassle, and it's kind of a douchebag move. :rolleyes: Not to mention, there's no guarantee that the 3G version bought in the U.S. will work with overseas carriers.

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

I think by the time you can get an iPad 3G so will everyone else. Apple says end of April and rumors say that it will be available in Europe around April 24th. If you have money to invest buy silver. Unless, of course, you want the iPad 3G and wouldn't mind keeping it.

5. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I'd think you would be just as likely to take a loss as to make a profit.

6. SteveMobs thread starter macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Good points on 3G compatibility and supply going up, thanks! Will have to think about this, but it seems as though the market is full