Buying an iPad for use in USA and Japan

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jdadler, Dec 4, 2010.

1. jdadler macrumors newbie

Hi all. I live in the United States currently and will be moving to Japan in two years. I want to purchase an iPad with 3G connectivity that I can use here and later in Japan.

But if you want an iPad to work on a 3G network in Japan, then you have to buy it from SoftBank in Japan with a contract. At least, that's my understanding. If that's not correct, will someone please let me know?

On the other hand, my understanding is that an iPad purchased from SoftBank in Japan will work in the United States if I were to switch out the microsim. If that's not correct, again please correct me.

So the natural questions seem to be as follows:

From the United States, can I purchase an iPad from SoftBank that will eventually work on the SoftBank network two years down the road? If possible, how would I do that? Where I would buy it from?

If so, would I need to get a contract with SoftBank? I have no need for a SoftBank contract until I move to Japan in two years.

Thanks for your help!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Justt buy it and sell it before you go to Japan and get latest model in Japan.

3. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

Yeah, Japan is way more advanced. They'll probably have 6G by the time you get there.

Lucky you who's going to Japan! :D
    It's been my lifetime dream, which may never come true... :(
    Gambate! ;)

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Two years is a long time in terms of electronics. Like Iceman said, cell phone technology might not even be compatible by that time. And seeing how Apple only supports iOS devices for three years (Original iPhone and iPod touch cannot run iOS4. 2nd gen touch and iPhone 3G do run iOS4, but they are slow), an iPad you buy today will be getting close to its useful lifespan by then. Buy what you need *now*, and by the time you go to Japan in two years, it'll be time to buy a new one.

5. watlyle macrumors newbie

iPad working in Japan

I am actually traveling to Japan with my iPad at the end of the month and will send an update reference weather i can get a US version to work there. Reference Japan being more advanced, this is not true. They received the iPhone more than a year after it was out in the US. Japanese people do not use voice calling in public because it is considered extremely impolite. Therefore as long as they have SMS capability they are good. Additionally, for household use, high speed (fiber) internet is not considered nearly as important as in the States. Softbank installed this option for me but removed it when i left because they did not think the next tenant would care for it.

MTF

6. Acas macrumors newbie

Buy Ipad2 in japan

Planning to get IPad2 in japan this month end buy wonder if tourist can buy?was looking for iPad WIFI only.Guys can help?thanks

7. zachzach8888 macrumors newbie

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

iPad 2 is not yet being sold in Japan. No word on when it will be released there.