iPad mini Buying an iPad mini (non retina) to replace my daughters aging iPod touch 4th gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BXPhotography, Aug 22, 2014.

1. BXPhotography macrumors newbie

The super laggy speeds in my daughters now much older iPod touch is finally getting to me. I can find new unopened iPad minis for around 220.00 all day on craigslist. She is 4 almost 5 so her uses are mainly educational games and movie viewing. Will I get a few more years of use out of it? Or do I need to spend the extra 120-200 more for an iPod Mini Retina? She doesn't play 3d games. Im personally just sick of waiting for her iPod touch to respond even while simply going through her settings etc just to put my pin in to download a new app for her.

2. Che Castro macrumors 603

Go for the retina , the first iPad mini has an a5 chip from 2011/12

3. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

By next year, you're bound to feel the same way about the iPad Mini. It's sporting a 3-year old CPU and it's a wonder the A5 still works fairly decently today. That said, you could wait until October/November for greater savings on the rMini once the new iPads are announced

4. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have to agree with this. I had/have both minis. I think the first generation would be just fine right now, but withe the changes looming in ios8, and then 9, I think buying the first gen will only give her a little over a year with that device. Remember, it was a shrunk down iPad 2 which has been taken out of Apples lineup.