Buying an iPhone 1st gen help me!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lucasfer899, Oct 22, 2012.

1. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Hey all,
    I was looking at buying an iPhone 1st gen, as I love the design so much and the real landmark of the device in apple history. It's also a great conversation starter!

I have an iPhone 4, Wanted a 5, but realized I rarely use the internet or maps, and all I do is use it to text + call people.
    So, I am buying an iPhone gen1 from ebay, is there anything dodgy to watch out for? Any flaws in the handset?
    Don't convince me to not buy it, I need something to satisfy my need to buy stuff for now. I will also be selling my iPhone 4.
    Also, what do you think is a good price?
    I'll also be watching out for apple Bluetooth headset with the dock and everything :D

2. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

3. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

My biggest concern initially would be the battery, pretty good chance it's worn out.

4. tudyniuz macrumors member

tudyniuz

I could never go back to a non-retina screen now. It would drive me crazy.

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You should look to not pay more than $50. Any more would be a ripoff

6. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

It'll be way too laggy. The screen is also washed out and pixelated by today's standards. Good luck. :apple:

7. lucasfer899 thread starter macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

There are measures that can be taken to prevent/remove lag, and I don't need a good screen, I take my macbook everywhere with me for movies and whatnot, as I go to boarding school, and everyone carries their machines around campus all day.

8. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I have nothing to offer to you with regard to your query. However, I will say, if your needs are as you state, the original iPhone is an excellent unit.

I have been using the said since its original launch date back in 2007. The only reason I upgraded to the iP5 was due to the absence of support for the older iOS banking and some financial apps. Other than that, the said was excellent.

Up until last month, it's battery was in great shape and pristine condition. It now sits in the shadows, as a back up phone.

Good luck to you on your search for a good unit.

ETA: Go S.F. Giants!!!!!!!!!

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I think it depends on usage. My friend just upgraded from the 2G to the 5, however needed to borrow my old 2G in the interim as his had broken about 5 days before he was set to get the 5. Comparing mine (which hasn't been used in the last 3 years save for ~ 3 weeks last year) to his (used daily since he got it) he noted that mine was a lot faster and had much better battery life. It certainly depends, and you're correct that battery may be a concern, but in my case was fine.

10. wepiii macrumors 6502

How much? PM me

11. Zac7 macrumors 6502a

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

My brother has a practically unused iPhone 2007 he hasn't touched since 2008. It still had like version 1.13? Version. Runs fine to me when I saw it last week.

He's actually haven't his mother in law use it since I got her subsidized upgrade when he switched over to att from tmobile.

So iPhone 2007 running version 1 software runs smooth.

13. lucasfer899 thread starter macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

oh wow, still rocking original iPhone os <3
    I want :p

14. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Using one of these would be an even better conversation starter:
    [​IMG]

15. lucasfer899 thread starter macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Well, I like it and all, I just don't need or want it.
    Also both sides are shattered but that's beside the point.

----------

ahaha yes.
    Well, as long as you hold it right.