buying an iPhone 3gs 32 gig tomorrow, need to know cost after cancelling contract

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guyverzero, Jul 8, 2009.

1. guyverzero macrumors member

Just as it says, I will be buying a 32 gig 3gs tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone has confirmed (well, I know a confirmation isn't possible since it isn't July 18th yet) but if anyone can say with the utmost confidence that the iphone's total cost will be this. (note that when I say total cost I mean I will be canceling after the 30th day and bringing it to Tmobile)

Cost of phone - 322 (after tax in my area)
    activation - 36
    first month of service - 75ish (I won't even be using the sim so there will be no room for overcharging)
    etf - 170

so, a total of $603. Is there ANY way this can be wrong, and if so what are those ways? Will I be charged for a second month of service, even if canceling on the 31st day exactly? Thats the only thing I can think of, but if anyone has any info otherwise, I would be extremely grateful if you'd share it.

Thank you for your time, I really need some info on all of this as I'm really paranoid about the whole thing.

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I did something similar last year when the iPhone 3G came out. This is how it worked out for me:

299 USD iPhone 3G 16GB Black
    36.00 USD Activation (waived due to FAN)
    60.xx USD - First month's service fee (with FAN discount for the middle-tiered iPhone plan)
    170 ETF

I did not have to pay for second month's service and was allowed to keep my iPhone. I cancellend on the day my bill closed (don't know if it was 30 or 31 days).

Question for you - how are you planning on unlocking the phone to use on T Mobile?

3. guyverzero thread starter macrumors member

I'm just gonna use redsn0w, the updated version supports the new phone. I really don't mind not having 3g as I'm just happy to have internet on my phone. Since I've heard that redsn0w has mostly been done without many complaints I decided it was time to pull the trigger.

If you wouldn't mind, could you explain how you went through the FAN discount sign up? I plan on going into an Apple store and buying it tomorrow, so should I sign up tonight? I checked and my email qualified me to recieve the university discount

Also, when it does come time to cancel should I go into a store or can I do it online? What should I say, will they accept anything?