Buying an iPhone 6S & MacBook air in America, and taking back to the UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blizeH, Sep 17, 2015.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

Hi,

We're going to America in a couple of weeks (San Francisco, LA and Las Vegas) and I was hoping to get an iPhone 6S. The sales tax is around 8% in each of these states, but it still works out considerably cheaper than buying in the UK.

Other than the plug adapters, are there any potential issues with doing this? As far as I can tell, Apple's warranty is global and should apply in any country.

I've heard about problems with the base band, but more reading suggests that shouldn't be an issue and also I've heard other people say that you cannot buy a phone from the Apple store without signing up to a carrier also - which seems to be confirmed by their website (you have to pick a carrier, as far as I can tell)

Would really appreciate and guidance on this before we potentially make a huge mistake :) Thank you

2. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've got friends that brought back iPhones purchased in an Apple Store in SF earlier this year and they work fine.

Having said that, they bought the full & unlocked versions, which aren't normally available at launch.

3. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've got friends that brought back iPhones purchased in an Apple Store in SF earlier this year and they work fine.

Having said that, they bought the full & unlocked versions, which aren't normally available at launch in the U.S.

4. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Just make sure the iPhone isn't locked to a carrier and it will be fine. The US keyboard is slightly different to a UK keyboard (@, ", # keys tend to be in different places and £ is more difficult to use) but you get used to it after a while :)

Worth if for the money saved having to buy in the UK, although not so much if you get stopped by customs and charged VAT

5. recoil80 macrumors 68000

I don't know whether you'll be able to easily find an unlocked iPhone by the end of this month, how long are you staying in the US?
    You should get the same model Apple sells in the UK, so A1688 for 6s and A1687 for 6s+. I think the other models would work, but I'm not sure the LTE support is the same. As far as I know those models are sold by Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile but I don't know if they are available unlocked right after day 1.

6. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for the info, sorry for the confusion over two topics - we were going to get a Macbook Air but I'm hoping I can fix my girlfriend's current MacBook so we don't have to resort to that :) Very good point about the US keyboard though. US iPhone sounds like it will be a good option though!

7. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, thank you Azzin... seems like we may be out of luck trying to get a full unlocked version then :( If we see any Apple stores on our travels I'll make sure to pop in just in case though.

8. liam.berlin macrumors regular

liam.berlin

Great advice and avatar.

OK so this advice is for Germany but there are still some good tips in here applicable to you.

9. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you recoil, we're returning on the 15th October, leaving Vegas but we have another final day in LA too - but I'm guessing that'll be too soon to pick up a carrier unlocked phone :(

10. Azzin macrumors 68040

I think it was November last year that Apple started selling the iPhone 6 unlocked.

[Edit] - It was actually January this year, so roughly 4 months after launch.

11. blizeH, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you. Still hoping I won't need to get a MacBook Air (that was put into the title by accident, sorry), but looks like we're screwed on the 6S front then. Might just see if I can pick up a reasonably priced iPhone 6 second hand instead.

12. Azzin macrumors 68040

13. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you so much! I'll keep an eye on the situation, hopefully the 6S will be unlocked on T-Mobile too :)