Buying an iPhone from somebody?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lorenn.x, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Lorenn.x macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if there were anything I needed to look out for when buying an iPhone from somebody. Security-related.

I've decided to make the switch from Blackberry to iPhone, so while I know a bit about the iPhone, I know nothing compared to the Blackberry. With the Blackberry, a phone could be reported "lost or stolen" and that was something to look out for when purchasing from somebody. I've looked it up on Google about the iPhone but can't seem to find anything. Is the phone just formatted over iTunes and good to go, or does the service provider intervene if its reported? This is my first iPhone and I know the 5 will be coming out so I didn't want to buy it brand new.

Anyway, I'm really excited to switch, so done with RIM! Thank you in advance for any information and happy holidays! :)

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I believe there's an "ESN" number that can be reported stolen. You should get the number from the seller and verify it with the carrier.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

ESN for CDMA networks, IMEI for GSM networks.

It is worth noting that I technically COULD sell my phone with a clean ESN/IMEI and once I have your cash, report it stolen (just to be a A$$, no other reason). I wouldn't think this happens very often, but to be 100% safe I would go into the appropriate brick and mortar store with the seller, if at all possible, and make the switch there. That way there is official record of it.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I see, thanks for the info. I'd sure like to buy my wife an iphone 4 to use but my local craigslist is shady at best and I don't have access to the marketplace here.

I'll have to wait until either my dad or her dad is eligible for an upgrade in the future and buy theirs off of them.

5. Lorenn.x thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I usually go with my gut feeling when meeting people, or read their personality through email (ie. people who genuinely care about what they are selling vs. those who send 1 word replies, are quick to ask about money etc.).

Not sure where you are located, but do you have Kijiji? A lot LESS shady. I personally hate using Craigslist, and find Kijiji a bit more professional and trustworthy.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Thanks for the tip. I just checked it out. Unfortunately it seems it hasn't taken off in my area as there are only like 4 postings lol.

I'll keep an eye out though.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I suppose it's worth noting that I have purchased phones off of CL and never had issues. You likely won't end up having issues, I just wanted to point out some technicalities. Seller would have to be a real d%ck to do something like this in the first place.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yea there's no other reason to do it but be an ass. They can't get the phone back or anything.

9. Lorenn.x thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, didn't mean to talk bad about Craigslist, I've purchased from there too (not a phone or anything) and had a great experience, I just believe Kijiji is setup better. Like the fact that you can check the posters other ads that let you know if the person also posted 200 other friends their trying to sell, or I've run into 2 of the same products with different, unmatching info in each post.

10. bjb.butler macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

I don't know about how GSM/IMEI works.

But for CDMA (Sprint & Verizon), this is the route to take:

Have the person selling it (original owner) meet you at the sprint store, and have them activate it right there.

11. Lorenn.x thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys for the information, very helpful. :)

One more question.. ? If I want to get the phone unlocked, will the void the warranty? Can you lock without jailbreaking? I've spotted some great buys but the only issue tends to be the carrier.

Would you say warranty is even that important? I know with my iPod I actually replaced it before the year was up, just minor issues (lock button, occasional white screen) but accidental damage isn't covered so a cracked screen would still leave me in trouble.

I'm trying to look for phones in warranty but its hard to get everything. Found a great buy today but just reconsidering because the carrier has some of the worst data plans for price. Lol.

Thanks again. :eek: