Buying an iPhone in the U.S. to use in the U.K. - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PedroAbadiano, Jun 22, 2009.

1. PedroAbadiano macrumors newbie

I'm currently in the States but am planning to return to the U.K. and want to buy an iPhone. The new 32G iPhone costs $299 here in the States but £532 ($851) in the U.K., almost three times the price: extortionate. So I'm considering picking up a phone here, unlocking it and taking it back to London to use on one of the networks there. The technical specs are the same, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue, but I'm gathering that certain functions won't be available, i.e. video messaging - I can live with that.

However, will any of the decent functions and/or apps then be off-limits once I jailbreak and unlock the phone?

Will their be issues upgrading the software on the phone or syncing it with my MacBook once the alterations are made?

Will I still be able to use the majority of network providers and access wireless systems?

As a general question, are the losses and hassles associated with unlocking a U.S. bought phone worth the $500 saving?

Questions are slightly rudimentary, but then I'm a bit behind on all this. Any advice/assistance appreciated, cheers.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You have got your facts wrong about the prices.

The 32GB is $299 plus local sales tax in the USA when bought with a 24 month contract.

The £532 you are quoting is for a PAYG phone, with no contractual obligations.

To make the comparison fair, you need to check out the price of the 32GB iPhone on the O2 24 month contracts.

If you pay £35 ($57) per month, the phone costs £175 ($286). Move up to the £45 ($74) per month contract and it costs only £97 ($159) and if you go for the £75 ($123) per month contract the phone is actually free. The UK prices all include VAT.

So, on a like for like 24 month contract, it is actually a lot cheaper in the UK.