Buying an MBP for the academic year to come - shoud I wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fstfrwrd, Jun 7, 2008.

  1. fstfrwrd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #1
    Around Sept/Oct '08, I will be needing a MacBook Pro for school.
    My current MacBook just won't cut it anymore then. I study architecture and the apps are quite heavy, graphical-wise.

    I'm basically posting here to ask you guys what you recommend me to do ...
    A) Buy a new MBP at the start of the summer?
    B) Use my current MacBook until I actually need the MBP and buy a - hopefully brand new version of the - MBP then?

    In other words, what are the chances of new MacBook Pro's in sept/oct/nov?

    I think I can wait as long as they're still being released in '08.
     
  2. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

    asphyxiafeeling

    Joined:
    May 31, 2008
    Location:
    Cali baby!
    #2
    if you can, wait.

    there is an extremely good chance for a MBP revision by september.

    Intel releasing the new Montevina chip set to replace the current Santa Rosa ones in July, so expect some new Macs between july-september at the latest.
     
  3. geekygoddess macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2008
    #3
    They are running a sweet deal right now, until Sept 15th. Free touch or iPod on top of the academic discount. Pretty sweet! Best offer I have seen in a while. But, if you don't really need or want either one, then, yes, I would wait for a revision.:D
     
  4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #4
    Yes, please wait. I am.

    July 14 is the new Montevina release. With it might even come a case redesign, but seeing as that is the opposite reason for buying a MacBook Pro, I wouldn't put too much garf into that.

    I'm waiting for the updated chipset, and I'm putting my faith in the fact that an update will be released before August 7, as that's when I go to Ireland with my university.
     
  5. fstfrwrd thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #5
    yeah, i know. another thing that's making me doubt.
    but i already got an ipod touch, so i guess i'm still waiting :)



    so .. MBP update will probably mean enhanced chipset and system specs?
    what about the chances of a completely new case design?
     
  6. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #6
    Yes enhanced specs with a new chipset. It's always 50/50 with the new case design.
     
  7. llorxela macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    #7
    Dude I feel your pain. I leave for uni in mid august and I read the forums to try to reassure myself that it will be worth waiting.
     

Share This Page