Buying an unsubsidized phone

TeeRom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
My contract with Verizon isn't up for another year and a half. I have unlimited data and need to buy full price phones to keep it. When the iPhone 5 is released, where can I buy the Verizon version unsubsidized? Does Verizon or the Apple store sell them, or is eBay my only option?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Along the same lines, could I purchase an iPhone at full price and use it on Verizon without a data plan. For the sake of argument, I'd only use the iPhone's data capabilities on wifi.

I'm on a voice-only plan that I really like as it's cheap and meets our needs. The selection of dumb phones on VZ is pitiful, but my current phone is falling apart.

I am philosophically opposed to a mandatory data plan. I can afford it, but I don't want to be mandated to get a data plan if I want a smartphone.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think your best bet would be to go into an Apple store and ask them for a Verizon one without a new contract.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My contract with Verizon isn't up for another year and a half. I have unlimited data and need to buy full price phones to keep it. When the iPhone 5 is released, where can I buy the Verizon version unsubsidized? Does Verizon or the Apple store sell them, or is eBay my only option?
You are unlikely to be able to preorder it at launch (couldn't last year) but should be able to get one at either an Apple or Verizon store, assuming you don't mind waiting in line.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Along the same lines, could I purchase an iPhone at full price and use it on Verizon without a data plan. For the sake of argument, I'd only use the iPhone's data capabilities on wifi.
Nope, you can't do this.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
You can't use the factory unlocked iPhone on Verizon.

Your best bet is to go to Verizon and pay the full price.

Not sure if this would work via preordering.

JerseyDoug

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012

I'm on a voice-only plan that I really like as it's cheap and meets our needs. The selection of dumb phones on VZ is pitiful, but my current phone is falling apart.

I am philosophically opposed to a mandatory data plan. I can afford it, but I don't want to be mandated to get a data plan if I want a smartphone.
Smartphones require a data plan.

xnickitynickx

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Orlando, FL
to get an unsubsidized iPhone it is mandatory to have a data plan. but that goes for any smartphone on verizon.

as for preordering it, on preorder day, navigate to the buy page, and select what line you want to use. It may alert you that you don't have an upgrade available, or you can just select pay retail price. that will just give you the phone, no contract renewal needed.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
to get an unsubsidized iPhone it is mandatory to have a data plan. but that goes for any smartphone on verizon.

as for preordering it, on preorder day, navigate to the buy page, and select what line you want to use. It may alert you that you don't have an upgrade available, or you can just select pay retail price. that will just give you the phone, no contract renewal needed.
this. You are not looking for an unlocked phone, just a full priced phone. When you go to buy online still purchase a verizon phone, but at full retail pricing.

TeeRom

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
this. You are not looking for an unlocked phone, just a full priced phone. When you go to buy online still purchase a verizon phone, but at full retail pricing.
I know lol. I think most people are reading the second /third guys post and thinking its mine. Thanks though.

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Unsubsidized iPhones are quite pricey. Currently on Verizon you pay 849$ + tax for the high end 4s.

TOOFY

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Long Awhlandddd, NY
The unlocked version currently does not work with CDMA carriers.
Its only GSM unlocked.
Yes, correct. I forgot to add that note. For example, my GSM AT&T iphone is now unlocked. I can now go to europe for example as i did 3 weeks ago and used a local carrier ( Vodafone ) and popped my ATT sim back in when i came home. Bam BOom!

Bcarraher

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Would it be less expensive to port your number to Google Talk, cancel your existing account, pay the early termination fee and then get a new line with a subsidized IPhone5? I think it could work for me but I am on a shared plan with my wife and dont know if it would mess up her service since she isnt interested in upgrading from her Verizon 4s.

techiegirl

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
Would it be less expensive to port your number to Google Talk, cancel your existing account, pay the early termination fee and then get a new line with a subsidized IPhone5? I think it could work for me but I am on a shared plan with my wife and dont know if it would mess up her service since she isnt interested in upgrading from her 4s.
How would that help him retain his unlimited data?

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011

are you referring to how to preorder on the apple site or verizon site? I just asked this question the other day in a different thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15514237#post15514237

JerseyDoug

macrumors regular
May 10, 2012
Nobody knows that, because LTE may change things up. Don't forget that LTE requires SIM cards like GSM. You could also use the Verizon iPad on AT&T just fine
True. However, if LTE is not available in a given area area, a vzw phone will default to vzw 3G which is CDMA. Doubt that changes.