Buying an unsubsidized phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TeeRom, Aug 22, 2012.

1. TeeRom macrumors member

My contract with Verizon isn't up for another year and a half. I have unlimited data and need to buy full price phones to keep it. When the iPhone 5 is released, where can I buy the Verizon version unsubsidized? Does Verizon or the Apple store sell them, or is eBay my only option?

2. TOOFY macrumors regular

It will be available on apples website as the unlocked version. Full price would be about 649$

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Along the same lines, could I purchase an iPhone at full price and use it on Verizon without a data plan. For the sake of argument, I'd only use the iPhone's data capabilities on wifi.

I'm on a voice-only plan that I really like as it's cheap and meets our needs. The selection of dumb phones on VZ is pitiful, but my current phone is falling apart.

I am philosophically opposed to a mandatory data plan. I can afford it, but I don't want to be mandated to get a data plan if I want a smartphone.

4. TeeRom thread starter macrumors member

The unlocked version doesn't work on Verizon.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think your best bet would be to go into an Apple store and ask them for a Verizon one without a new contract.

6. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

You are unlikely to be able to preorder it at launch (couldn't last year) but should be able to get one at either an Apple or Verizon store, assuming you don't mind waiting in line.

7. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Nope, you can't do this.

8. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

You can't use the factory unlocked iPhone on Verizon.

Your best bet is to go to Verizon and pay the full price.

Not sure if this would work via preordering.

9. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Smartphones require a data plan.

10. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

to get an unsubsidized iPhone it is mandatory to have a data plan. but that goes for any smartphone on verizon.

as for preordering it, on preorder day, navigate to the buy page, and select what line you want to use. It may alert you that you don't have an upgrade available, or you can just select pay retail price. that will just give you the phone, no contract renewal needed.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

this. You are not looking for an unlocked phone, just a full priced phone. When you go to buy online still purchase a verizon phone, but at full retail pricing.

12. TeeRom thread starter macrumors member

I know lol. I think most people are reading the second /third guys post and thinking its mine. Thanks though.

13. germanguy macrumors regular

Unsubsidized iPhones are quite pricey. Currently on Verizon you pay 849$ + tax for the high end 4s.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The unlocked version currently does not work with CDMA carriers.
    Its only GSM unlocked.

15. TOOFY macrumors regular

Yes, correct. I forgot to add that note. For example, my GSM AT&T iphone is now unlocked. I can now go to europe for example as i did 3 weeks ago and used a local carrier ( Vodafone ) and popped my ATT sim back in when i came home. Bam BOom!

16. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I bought my unsubsidized Verizon 4s at Apple store on the day it was released.

17. TeeRom thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

18. Bcarraher macrumors member

Bcarraher

Would it be less expensive to port your number to Google Talk, cancel your existing account, pay the early termination fee and then get a new line with a subsidized IPhone5? I think it could work for me but I am on a shared plan with my wife and dont know if it would mess up her service since she isnt interested in upgrading from her Verizon 4s.

19. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

How would that help him retain his unlimited data?

20. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

are you referring to how to preorder on the apple site or verizon site? I just asked this question the other day in a different thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15514237#post15514237

21. TeeRom thread starter macrumors member

22. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Nobody knows that, because LTE may change things up. Don't forget that LTE requires SIM cards like GSM. You could also use the Verizon iPad on AT&T just fine

23. xnickitynickx macrumors regular

xnickitynickx

I was referring to the Verizon site. That's how i did it for the 4s, it was actually moving quicker than Apple's site. a little less clogged.

24. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This I did not know about LTE

25. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

True. However, if LTE is not available in a given area area, a vzw phone will default to vzw 3G which is CDMA. Doubt that changes.