Buying AppleCare, exchanging out phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chris092881, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

You guys would know more than me. It appears that Apple will not switch out my iPhone 5, so unless I want a TON or purple in my photos (the rep at AppleCare admitted some 5's have this worse than others, and that some don't have it at all), then I need to find a legit loophole to get this phone exchanged. Do I need to take the phone into Apple to get AppleCare + or can I do it over the phone with a credit card? I've had the phone for about 2 weeks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can do it over the phone or online if a particular rep would not exchange it for you.
    Or you can try again at the same store and hope you get a better rep.

3. Chris092881 thread starter macrumors 6502

A Senior Advisor is in charge of my case at Apple now, and she's the worst. Not because she told me something I didn't want to hear, but because she's rude. Honestly hearing her voice makes my toes curl. I called Apple in between classes this morning and asked to speak to another rep, Senior or otherwise. They told me the notes in their system say I need to speak to her and that was that. If I have to buy AppleCare then F it, I will. But no one is going to tell me that purple is normal for ALL iPhone 5's. Some yes, but my last one (another story) didn't have this issue at all.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont have to talk or deal with any customer rep that you dont want to.
    Follow this link and do it all online.
    https://expresslane.apple.com/ProductSelector.action
    Give them your info, address, explain briefly the problem with your phone and that's it.
    It can be all done through the mail without seeing or talking to anyone.

5. Chris092881 thread starter macrumors 6502

The exchange or AppleCare ?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats to get it replaced under warranty.
    You have a full 1 year from the day or purchase of Applecare coverage on your iphone.
    You dont have to purchase an additional year of applecare if you dont want to.

7. Chris092881 thread starter macrumors 6502

Very helpful. Thank you. One more question, if it's that easy why do people go into the Apple Store to get an exchange only to be shot down if they can just do it online?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its faster to do it at the store I guess.
    But most dont have Apple stores around them or the nearest one is many hours away. So many people still do it by mail.
    I got an Apple store within 10 minutes and I did a few exchanges by mail a bunch of times. Seems to be easier and I dont have to wait in line at the store, or drive to the mall etc....