Buying Applecare Plus after 30 days?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jfrancis04, Jun 25, 2013.

1. jfrancis04 macrumors 6502a

Is there any way to do this? I checked with my local story and they said you can't. Don't even have a manager override for it.

I know squaretrade has a monthly options, but that gets expensive pretty quick.

Basically, I have a phone that roughly 5 months old. What's the best way to insure it?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

As per the terms of applecare plus you cannot buy it after 30 days. You need to go with another form of insurance like square trade or see if there's something on your home owners insurance that may fit the bill

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The best way to insure it is to have purchased it with an Amex card, which everyone should be doing whether or not they purchase AC+ (extends the warranty by one year in both cases).

4. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm more interested in the drop protection.

5. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

gotta love my platinum AmEx for that

6. jfrancis04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. So they only options are pretty much pay by the month?

7. takeshi74, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not everyone has an AmEx card. One size does not fit all. Best is subjective on this just as it is with any topic. AmEx isn't the only card to offer warranty extension.

Insurance is a very common topic and you haven't provided your criteria for "best" aside from wanting to avoid monthly payments. Most options are going to require monthly payments. Browse the existing discussions and see what suits you best.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=iph...s=chrome.0.57.6498j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

at this point, yes I believe so.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

True, but I recommend using Amex whenever possible for the best experience. Mastercard/VISA is fragmented (just like Androids). A friend tried to use their extended warranty coverage for a broken computer several years ago and they required a mountain of paperwork with supporting documents (obviously to discourage people). Amex is just a phone call away and I actually got back $100 more for a broken 4S (got reimbursed $299 plus tax and the out of warranty replacement price was $199 plus tax).

10. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

I think you can just get a replacement phone at an Apple store for a cost of ~$150-200 if you drop it. Not to sure on this though. It might be cheaper in the long run to do that rather than monthly payments. I also think that Apple Care + has a deductible you have to pay.