Buying at Apple Store if 10/5 Delivery Date?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thehopscotch, Sep 15, 2012.

  1. thehopscotch macrumors regular

    thehopscotch

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    Location:
    US
    #1
    Question for those of us with 10/5 delivery dates...

    I did an early upgrade with AT&T (paid the additional $250) purchased through Apple.com and received the dreaded 10/5 delivery date. It isn't a huge deal to me except that I'm going out of town on 10/5, and if the phone doesn't arrive before 3pm that day, I'm out of luck and won't get it until I get back in town.

    Can I wait in line at an Apple store on 9/21 and buy a phone (assuming they still have stock) and then cancel the other order made online? Will the Apple store be able to take care of getting me the $299+$250 (32GB+early upgrade) price by cancelling the other order on their end, or would I have to pay full price at the Apple store if I bought a phone in person there?
     
  2. armyxrays macrumors member

    armyxrays

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2012
    Location:
    Fresno, CA
    #2
    Just a suggestion here. Call AT&T / Apple and ask them. Don't go by what the forum is telling you. You might be disappointed if you wait in that long line and it doesn't go the way you hoped.
     
  3. caligurl macrumors 68030

    caligurl

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    socal
    #3
    i called apple to ask about doing this (but i have/had an elible upgrade)... at the 800 number i was told i could go there, then cancel my preorder if they had a phone for me and get my new phone...

    however the lady at the store when i called there directly told me that it takes 2-3 days for my eligibility to show back up...

    i'm not willing to cancel my preorder... only to get to the store and them not have a phone.. then i've got that much long of a wait if i have to reorder my phone...

    i hate this!

    apple should fulfill the online orders they got on friday with their available stocks... this sending them to the store so people trying to get a phone AFTER i already PLACED my order is frustrating...
     
  4. BFW122083 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2009
    Location:
    Atl
    #4
    I got an October delivery date and stopped by Best Buy yesterday to ask about their pre orders. I decided to give them a shot. Best Buy pulled up my info and saw my upgrades were gone because of my pre order through Apple. I went and cancelled my Apple pre order and the guy on the phone told me it could take a few days to reset my upgrade eligibility. I called ATT after I cancelled my pre order and my upgrade dates were already reset. As soon as I cancelled through Apple I was good to go.

    Hopefully this helps some people with their decisions.
     
  5. thehopscotch thread starter macrumors regular

    thehopscotch

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2009
    Location:
    US
    #5
    Thanks for the ideas everyone!

    It's probably overkill...but I'm almost tempted to try my Apple store on Sept 21 (live in a pretty small town)...then if they have a phone and won't cancel the preorder and let me pay the $299+$250 early upgrade price, then just pay the full price for an AT&T phone out of contract...then if I can't cancel the other at that point...I'll wait till I receive it and see what they can do at that point about refunding me either the early upgrade cost or the full upgrade cost. It's a mess, I know...and normally I wouldn't even try to go through all of that if I was going to be in town...but I really would like to get it before I leave...and with my luck, UPS/FedEx would run super late on 10/5 and/or deliver the phone 5 mins after I leave my house for the airport! Murphy's Law!
     
  6. Brammy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    #6
    Thanks for this info.

    I'm tempted to do the same thing.
     
  7. WesCole macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Location:
    Texas
    #7
    I was thinking of doing pretty much the same thing. I have an extra line on my account that never gets upgraded (in addition to the line I used to pre-order from Apple. I might just go to the AT&T store and upgrade on that line if they have any in stock and then cancel the pre-order for the original line I was upgrading.

    Does anyone know if AppleCare+ is offered at the AT&T store?
     
  8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    #8
    If you can not wait, why not go to the ATT store. They have DIRECT access to your account, vs Apple.
     
  9. Brammy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    #9
    That's not a bad idea. My GF's line is eligible for the same price as mine (the +250 option), I might do that.
     
  10. OneMike macrumors 603

    OneMike

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    #10
    This.

    I had a similar situation last year.

    got galaxy s2, returned a day later which was iPhone 4S presale day. They reset date, was good to go.
     
  11. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2006
    #11
    I canceled my apple.com preorder and ATT eligability was restored within 5 mins. This was on friday morning when everything was getting hammered.
     
  12. Brammy macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2008
    #12
    I'm not sure how the pre-order with AT&T would affect things, and my gut tells me the Apple stores will have the better inventory.
     
  13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #13
    Apple has higher inventory. Apple has direct access to your account...through AT&T servers :)
     

Share This Page