Buying at Apple Store with Direct Fufillment at AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jakeacc, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jakeacc macrumors regular

I've been trying to read all the threads regarding Direct Fufillment but haven't found a clear answer to my question. Can I purchase an iPhone 3G at the Apple Store while I've already ordered a Direct Fufillment at AT&T.

I went to AT&T on the 18th and they told me my best bet was to order one from them and it would take about 2 weeks. I told them that my current phone is broken so 2 weeks is a LONG time to not have any phone. I asked if in the meantime, while I wait for the DF order, I go to other AT&T and Apple stores and purchase an iPhone, could I cancel my DF order later. The AT&T guy said "No problem."

Now, I've read posts where people said that you CAN'T purchase an iPhone 3G at the Apple Store once you are on DF. Others said that you CAN, but Apple cancels your DF order. Others say you CAN and don't even have to cancel your DF order. And even others say you can only cancel a DF once it is shipped and you must do it in-store.

Can anyone who has had 1st hand experience with this let me know the REAL answer. I don't want to wait in line at the Apple Store to only be turned away because I have DF. I also don't want to cancel my DF, go to the Apple store and find out they are sold out.

2. Ferrd macrumors regular

Ferrd

Well, I just finished with the exact scenario you described.

I direct fulfilled at AT&T on Sat, July 12. I purchased an IPhone at Apple on July 18th. I received a call from AT&T today that my phone was in.

I simply told them that I purchased one elsewhere, and to cancel my order. That was it. Done. I have my IPhone, and hopefully they will take mine and fulfill an order that was pending instead of sending it back. The only negative is that they charge your credit card when the phone ships to the store, so I have a pending refund of $299.

3. calvy macrumors 65816

same here, except I haven't had it ship yet. I'm thinking I may add it to my line, or see if I can't let a friend take it.