Buying AT&T (fully subsidized) to sell. Couple of questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bayouvillain, Sep 14, 2012.

1. bayouvillain macrumors newbie

I'm eligible for the fully subsidized iphone. I don't use an iphone and I buy all my phones unlocked/off contract. I have no intentions of leaving AT&T. I usually use my upgrades to buy phones and re-sell them to subsidize the purchase of whatever unlocked phone it is that I want. I'm considering buying a 16gb iPhone5 and selling "brand new in box" w/out ever opening it. My main question is what happens when the person who buys it from me turns it on w/ the nano-SIM that is presumably in the iphone from the factory. Is that SIM already registered to my account? I don't want to have to open the box/break any seals to maintain the highest re-sale value. However, I also don't want to have some issue where my phone number/account is associated w/ a SIM that someone else has. I don't know how the iphone (purchased from Apple using an AT&T subsidy) activation works. Any info on this would help.

Also, any guess as to which version would have the best re-sale value? I was thinking 16gb/black but would be interested to hear opinions on this.

2. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

I believe as long as you don't authorize the device the SIM isn't associated to your AT&T account... good luck make lots of money :D

3. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

The phone and SIM are tied to you and your account. What you are doing is why they do this!:eek:

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This is true but it's no big deal. The new owner just needs to call in to get the IMEI and ICCID associated to them BEFORE connecting it to iTunes. This is just like an upgrade swap as described in our Upgrade Guide at the top of the forum. There's nothing unusual about it, it's all standard practice.

5. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

So then the OP does need to open it up and pull the SIM. There is no way I would trust a strange half way across the country to do this!:p

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Hmmm...perhaps. I say just call AT&T and ask to be sure.

7. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

I would say that is best as you will get many different answers here.:)