Buying ATV3 Now, But Tell Me If You Think Me Unwise

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Highway61, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Highway61 macrumors regular

After years w/o any TV and months of going back and forth and back and forth researching routers and streaming media boxes (a strong emphasis of my search being FireTV because I am a Prime member), I decided that I should stick with that which I know (MacOs) and that which is aesthetically pleasing (Apple Extreme).
    If I don't proceed with a purchase soon, I worry that I won't proceed at all.
    However, ATV4 does look like it's going to happen soon, and because of that, I think that suddenly becoming impatient about having no TV might be extremely unwise. Why not wait until September/October/November?
    These are my concerns re: Gen 3 vs Gen 4--and this is where I need some levelheaded guidance:
    An ATV4 remote with lots of buttons doesn't appeal to me. (And I hope it won't be as hideous as iWatch.)
    1. I really don't want to be connected to the AppStore. I think that, for the most part (not entirely, of course), the AppStore and all its notifications is a huge PITA monopoly.
    2. I don't want to have ATV that might be packaged to a subscription to TV plan that I would not want.
    3. I don't want to have ANYTHING to do with AppleMusic, and I worry that that will that be part of the ATV4 package, as well.
    So, with those things in mind: Is it foolish, anyway, not to wait?

Thank you in advance.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I think that you are talking yourself into something you want to believe. I would buy the ATV now and get use from it. It's not like it will break the bank if you decide to also buy a 4 in the future.

Having used the ATV daily since its release, I can say this.

- An app store will absolutely improve the experience. The ATV is extremely limited by only having access to apps that Apple approves, or what you can get on there via AirPlay.
    - Any subscription TV service will be optional.
    - AppleMusic will be optional.

3. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

zhenya, thank you for your reasoned response, your encouragement and diplomacy. Thank you, too, for helping me understand that which would be positive about the AppStore update and for the assurances regarding AppleMusic and "AppleChannels."
    Sincerely...

4. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

I like my Apple TV a lot, but I can also understand the thought of waiting for the next generation.

With regards to the App Store and your mention of Amazon Prime, the current model does not natively play Amazon content and it seems the only chance of that changing is through the new App Store.

As said above, the rumored TV service will be optional and probably the only link to it will be a channel on the front page which you can hide.

Same as above for apple music.

If you want it now, go ahead and pull the trigger as it will be two months before it is (supposed to be) released and then possibly longer before they can actually be had depending on immediate production. If you don't mind waiting a couple months, the upgraded model will be released and you can better compare the two models and see what is best for you.

5. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much.

As a side note--though really not a side note at all--this is a great forum.

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I have 1 for every tv in my house (just bought one recently with a $10 off BB coupon). I will buy the new one when it is a available for my main tv's and use the ATV 3 for less used tv's. And pass to others in my family that need one with the extra's. However, really need the streaming service so I can cancel the TV Package and just use the ATV boxes. At this point I would be happy with any streaming service that has the content that my family "requires" as long as they are on the ATV. Really hoping CBS All Access is available soon. Just afraid they are waiting for this Apple Streaming Service which may not come until sometime in 2016. Even if TWC would bring their App to Apple TV I would switch to them. Their App is pretty good on Roku.

I currently use Netflix, Hulu (hoping for NOAH), HBO Now, Showtime and Feeln Streaming Services. But stuck with FIOS TV for the content not yet available. I would also consider Sling TV but they are not on Apple TV. Would also like to see Amazon "Prime" on Apple TV.

7. tonyr6 macrumors 6502a

tonyr6

Wait to buy one. If some idiot at Re-Code posts a article a week before saying the new Apple TV is not coming out then definitely buy the ATV3 as they are never wrong stupid shills.

8. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Another option is of you have a costco membership you can pick one up for a discounted price. Costco also allows 90 day returns on Apple tvs, so if a new one comes out by November you can just return it and get the new one. You can also get a refurbished one from Apple.

9. jetlife2 macrumors regular

jetlife2

I have had an ATV2, an ATV3 and a Roku 3. Frankly I prefer the Roku. It offers Netflix, Amazon Video, Plex to stream from your PC or Mac, but also Channel search and add. No longer limited to the channels that Apple offers. It also has a wifi remote which is not line of sight and has a headphone jack built in (to the remote) for quiet late night listening. It is also quite a bit cheaper.

My only gripe is that the Roku delivers its Dolby Digital sound via HDMI, whereas the ATV3 has a separate optical audio jack. My audio system is older, so while it has full DD 6.1, it has optical in but no HDMI in.

If I were buying one today, thinking of it as a stopgap answer, I would buy a Roku 3, or even a really cheap used one from ebay, while waiting to see what ATV4 looks like. My 2c.

10. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

11. icebergx macrumors regular

Buy a second hand one... In the UK you can get a second hand one for half the price of a new one. Just did that and will grab the new ATV4 when it comes out. The ATV is the best investment I ever made. Hopefully someone will jailbreak the new ATV when it comes out too!

12. Tech198, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015

Tech198 macrumors G4

You could still go for an Apple TV... Just don't bother using Itunes Store, and sign up to Netflix, or all the other channels.. if u so wish..

True, u could get the same experience with other devices without the iTunes, but AppleTV has a better interface.

the only reason u have to worry about notification for now anyway is on the desktop, and iPhone and iPad, not Apple TV, but prove me wrong, Apple will probably find a way.

13. pmcdunnough macrumors member

I would wait until September. An ATV with an app store would be great. I have flipped around so many media players I can't tell you how nice it is to come back to the ATV. A foray from the Roku 3 to The Amazon Fire TV and stick has turned into a Plex nightmare. I had left Roku players as they kept transcoding everything. Not very powerful at the time. The AFTV is more powerful th a n any Roku, hardware wise, but it has a really bad Plex client. PlexConnect has proven to be very nice and will hold me over until an ATV4 emerges with an app store.

The Fire TV is very good for Prime, Netflix, Kodi and, apart from Plex, works great.

I would not buy an ATV at this point with September being so close.

14. RenoG macrumors 65816

You're overthinking this way to much, it's not as serious as you're making this out to be. Based on your expressed needs, the current ATV will suit you perfectly fine. Everything you don't want on it, well, isn't on the current one so go get it, it's only $69.

15. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

Update: I went ahead and bought an Airport Extreme and an Apple TV. Just set up a couple of hours ago. There were some extended moments of frustration and, dare I say it, aggravation, as I was trying in vain to get ATV to display on the HDTV, but I finally found the right combo of buttons/settings and, then, like magic there it was.
    For me, it was absolutely fascinating, because, as I said somewhere at the outset, I haven't had TV for years, and suddenly there was a whole new world of options, options that I can enjoy in the comfort of the living rooms, as opposed to at the desk of my work space.
    Shun me, if you wish, but I watched a TED Talk and an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee, and it brought me inordinate happiness to be able to do so.
    So, I want to thank everyone for your having contributed to this thread. The dialog here was just the shove I needed to make the purchase and do the install.

16. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

Now, after the new ATV has finally been unveiled, I have to say that I am very glad that I didn't wait. The new remote control, for one, looks like a lot of things I don't like (Siri, for one; swiping screens for another) glommed into one unit--and I say this even though I know now how frustrating/aggravating this iPod-type wheel selecting system can be.

In a related question, if I would now want to add another media streamer to my system, would it just be a matter of purchasing the Roku or Fire and connecting it to HDM2 (ATV is on HDM1)?

17. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Check eBay and similar sites for us people about to unload the older Apple TVs. I'm probably just going to hand them down to people in my family versus the battle of eBay to maybe make $40 on these things. But some people are going to be ditching them.

18. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

I was unclear, quite obviously. Thank you, truly, but I'm not looking to buy the older version. I bought it a few weeks ago, even though I knew this newer, "improved" version was possibly in the pipeline.
    My opinion is (at least right now) there's nothing improved about this newer ATV--except Apple's profit margins, perhaps. I find almost all of the content to be overpriced. UFC Fight Pass, for example, is outrageously overpriced for what crumbs Dana White throws you for 100.00 a year. And I've sampled some of the TV shows I had felt that I had been missing--like Sherlock--and I found that I wasn't missing anything at all.
    Additionally, the new remote. to me, would be a nightmare. I don't want to pretend I'm Tom Cruise in _Minority Report_ , swiping screens and talking to disembodied voices, in order to watch something on TV.
    Really, I'm content w/ the limitations of the ATV I have.
    What I was asking is whether I could augment Apple TV with another box like Roku or Fire by keeping Apple TV connected to HDM1 and, then, simply connecting Roku and/or Fire (since I'm an Amazon Prime member) to HDM2.
    Thanks again.

19. Bhunt macrumors member

Yes, just like anything else, you can plug it into another input...

20. Highway61 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much!

(I thought that...maybe...I'd need some kind of signal splitter or something.And if you're shaking your head (#syh), I can understand.)