Buying brand new MBP 13", need advice quickly before it ships

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Purely Elf, Jul 26, 2012.

  1. Purely Elf macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #1
    My mom let me know just now quite unexpectedly that she purchased me a new 13" MBP, without first consulting me. She opted for the more expensive basic model, with 8GB RAM and the faster processor. No extras were added besides the bonuses for the slightly more expensive basic model.

    My issue: For my mid 2010 13" MBP, I purchased a SSD to upgrade it, this one:
    Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW120G3K5 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167050

    And I could NOT for the life of me get the computer to recognize that the SSD existed, without connecting it externally via USB. Even after installing OSX on it externally, once installed internally the drive would not be recognized. After a few months (and being busy with school), I kind of gave up on the SSD and it's just been sitting around in storage.

    Now. If my mother were to cancel the order she made, and choose the basic basic 13" model, upgraded the RAM and opted for the low-end SSD instead of the basic HDD, the cost would come to be about the same as the MBP she ordered, and the differences (besides the better drive) would be the slightly less cool CPU. I want to know if I should have her cancel the order and do this, or if you people (and other Mac people) think that I would be able to get the dumb SSD I bought to actually work in this new machine. Time seems to be of the essence, as I think she ordered it last night.

    Please help! :O
     
  2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2006
    #2
    First off, you are quite lucky. I'd say stick with what she ordered and get that SSD to work in it. Silly to have it just sitting and being wasted.
     
  3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2012
    #3
    If that's the kind of configuration you're looking for, I'd recommend the MBAs. The processor speeds look like they'll make your computer slower, but the way a ULV processor works makes them very comparable to their full-sized dual core counterparts.
     
  4. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #4
    Yes, I am quite lucky and my mother is sometimes insane in some very comical ways. But if I could not get the SSD to work in my mid-2010 model after a month or more of trying, why should I expect it to be able to work in this new one? Has anyone else upgraded their new MBPs with this SSD with any success?

    ----------

    My techie friend said he bought a MBA not too long ago and was more than disappointed in it, but loves his new MBP.

    ----------

    Also, is there any way to make it so the screen isn't super reflective? That was my biggest complaint about my old MBP (except the SSD not working). Trying to watch The Dark Knight with me in every scene was quite distracting.

    ----------

    How big of a difference is the
    2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
    Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
    compared to the
    2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7
    Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
     
  5. Slivortal macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2012
    #5
    Do you know what kind of MBP he got? If he got one of the 15" models he probably got a quad-core, and then there is quite the difference. Also, if he upgraded his RAM on his own to 16GB, or something.

    And yeah, Apple lets you upgrade to matte screens. There's an option for it (costs like $50-$100).

    But the MBAs have better res (1440x900) than the MBPs (far less).

    And the i5 to i7 is a decent upgrade, but nothing TOO exciting. The big upgrade is dual core to quad core, but that's budget-pending.
     
  6. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #6
    And now I am reading that my old storaged SSD will not run as well in the new MBP, because the SSD is Sata 2 and the MBP is Sata 3. Truth to this?

    ----------

    Assuming I want to do some gaming on this (TERA, D3, future MMOs), is the MBA viable at all?

    ----------

    Yes, he got the very basic 15" MBP with the ridiculously high resolution.
     
  7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #7
    SATA II devices will work on SATA III. The speed will just be reduce to SATA II speeds.
     
  8. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #8
    New question, then:

    If the MBP is purchased with the SATA III SSD, how much of an upgrade would that be over my SATA II SSD (assuming I can get it to wok), and would this a bigger upgrade than the better of the 2 offered stock processors in the new 13" MBP?

    ----------

    And sorry for bugging you guys so much, but I'm also not seeing an option to make the MBPs less mirror-like with the $50-$100 option of screen types. Do you have to specify this somewhere else, like in special instructions?
     
  9. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #9
    My advice would to get the base model and install all the upgrades yourself. This is exactly what I'm doing for my father in a couple weeks.

    Why not go for the Samsung 830 256GB SSD (around $230)? You can also buy 8GB of RAM for about $60 (or cheaper). Then, you can remove the HDD from the computer and put it in an external enclosure. Alternatively, you could remove the optical drive and replace it with a caddy and effectively have both the HDD and SSD inside the case. At the very least, replacing the HDD with your own SSD and your own RAM will probably be around the same price as the upgraded unit your mother originally ordered. Just a thought.

    ----------

    You're stuck with the glossy screen on the 13" MBP. You can't upgrade it to anti-glare like you can the 15" MBP.

    Also, SATA III is faster than SATA II. I believe the difference is that it's 6Gbps versus 3Gbps. That can be quite the jump, especially if you buy an SSD that support SATA III (like the Samsung 830 I mentioned).
     
  10. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #10
    Number wise the benchmark scores could be significant between the SATA II and SATA III but that depends on the quality and manufacturer of the SSD. For example last year's MBA had like 250 mb/s vs this years near 500 mb/s SSD speed. In real world usage you probably won't notice it at all.

    Personally, if I was in your shoes I would go for the base MBP 13 and do the RAM and SSD upgrades myself. 16GB of ram is under 100 bucks last time I recall to get that done. SSD are constantly on sale if you don't want to use your existing one.
     
  11. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #11
    I am very afraid to upgrading my Apple products with anything not supported by Apple, because of what happened with my SSD. I have done plenty of work on normal desktop PCs (and some laptops) with just slight issues, but this SSD problem really stumped me and a few friends of mine. And of course when I brought in my MBP to the Apple Genius Bar, they just told me that they refused to do anything with it because the SSD was not Apple stock. I'm tired of these strange Apple issues with upgrading, and I want to play it as safely as possible. The only thing I am considering upgrading is the SSD, which is just because I have already purchased it and would hate to see it go to waste. Other than that, NO third party hardware will be going into any of my Apple products ever again.
     
  12. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #12
    That's fair enough if you've had a bad experience. I've personally witnessed two friends install Samsung SSDs in their 2012 MBPs and it was a cake walk. However, I respect the fact that you want to avoid any unforeseen scenarios. In your situation, I would still get the base MBP and purchase the RAM yourself (not from Apple). It's senseless to give that money to Apple when they're basically scalping you. As far as the SSD goes, I'd avoid putting that Intel one in if you had a problem on a 2010 MBP. The likelihood is that the same problem will exhibit itself again. Plus, if you're hesitant to put a Samsung SSD in, why are you willing to do the same thing with the Intel SSD which you KNOW hasn't worked before? If you're afraid of installing a non-Apple SSD, then you might have to settle for the stock HDD or pay the Apple premium for what is most likely a Samsung (or Toshiba) SSD. Maybe get the base model with the Apple-installed SSD and then install RAM in yourself?
     
  13. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #13
    I am very afraid to upgrading my Apple products with anything not supported by Apple, because of what happened with my SSD. I have done plenty of work on normal desktop PCs (and some laptops) with just slight issues, but this SSD problem really stumped me and a few friends of mine. And of course when I brought in my MBP to the Apple Genius Bar, they just told me that they refused to do anything with it because the SSD was not Apple stock. I'm tired of these strange Apple issues with upgrading, and I want to play it as safely as possible. The only thing I am considering upgrading is the SSD, which is just because I have already purchased it and would hate to see it go to waste. Other than that, NO third party hardware will be going into any of my Apple products ever again.

    Is the SSD upgrade option for the new 13" MBPs SATA 3, or SATA 2? If it is 3, unlike my current drive that is useless, I think I will go with the Apple SSD upgrade option instead of trying to deal with that headache of upgrading the MPB with third party hardware.
     
  14. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #14
    It's SATA III.
     
  15. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #15
    Yes, I remember the first time I installed RAM in a desktop when I was like 12 and I was amazed at how easy it was. This really just has me scared. Guess that's what return policies are for though, no? And the i5 over the i7 will not make much of a difference?

    What RAM would you all recommend I purchase? Hopefully something reliable that will be recognized by my MBP...
     
  16. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #16
    Considering all of the other features of the MacBook Pro, your real value will come from having an SSD. The processor is probably your least concern next to RAM and the SSD vs HDD. The base model is plenty fast (in my opinion).

    If you want the easy way out regarding RAM, head over to macsales.com. They're already offering RAM specifically for the new MBPs, though you can probably find other brands on Amazon, etc. Here's a link:

    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/DDR3_1600MHz_SDRAM
     
  17. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #17
    Okay, I guess I am going to bite the bullet and have her purchase the basic model, while trying to upgrade the HDD with a new SSD and more RAM. Can anyone please link me to reasonably priced and hopefully reliable third party hardware? With the student discount, the one she purchased was $1,399 usd, with 8GB RAM, 750GB HD and i7 processor.

    I would like to purchase the very basic model and get it to run as well as possible very close to the price that she had paid. SSD needs to be SATA3 and need to be no bigger than 128GB, and I would like as much RAM as possible. Thank you.

    Fingers crossed........
     
  18. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #18
  19. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

    mykelala01

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    #19
    Hey it is free, your Mom do you a favor buying you a MAC instead of a HP or Asus. So just give her a hug and thank her instead of correcting her what she should or not to order. Rich Kid these days.
     
  20. Purely Elf thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2012
    #20
    Lol, after talking to my techie friend he tells me that now is the absolute worst time to buy a 13" MBP, because in october they are going to come out with the retina display ones and it is the most significant upgrade the 13" model will see in years. So, idk :p
     
  21. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

    mac1984user

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2009
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #21
    Samsung 830 256GB:
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-S...F8&qid=1343345770&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+830

    Samsung 830 128GB:
    http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-I...F8&qid=1343345770&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+830

    If you'd had a look through some of the more recent posts on this forum, you'll have seen a lot of speculation regarding the release of a 13" retina MacBook Pro. There are a couple things to consider. Firstly, there are no guarantees in life (i.e. the rMBP 13" may not arrive in October). Secondly, most of the components in the rMBP will likely be locked down and it will be MUCH costlier to upgrade to a larger SSD and install RAM via Apple than it currently is by doing it yourself in the models available today (this coming from a guy who bought a rMBP 15"). The 13" MBP is a great machine and it can be blazing fast if you upgrade to an SSD and pop some more RAM in there. You still have all the perks of USB 3.0, thunderbolt and the Ivy Bridge processor. Plus, there's your mom to think about. She's done something nice for you, and it might come off as ungrateful if you suggest she wait to buy you something 'better'. But THAT is just my two cents. =)
     
  22. Furifo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2010
    #22
    I haven't been reading through the entire thread but judging by your opening post, I seriously think you would be very happy with a 13" air.

    - SSD as standard
    - Thinner + lighter than the MBP
    - 1440 x 900 screen resolution vs the 1280 x 800 on the MBP

    If this was me in this situation, I would shoot for the 13" MBA.

    Edit: You can even bump the ram up to 8gb!
     
  23. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #23
    What your friend mention is still a rumor but I would agree. That why I went with an MBA and a RMBP over the MBP 13.
     
  24. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

    mykelala01

    Joined:
    May 17, 2009
    #24
    Yeah respect your Mom decision, she is trying to suprise you with a computer and all you do is complain and wait for the retina which is just pure rumor right now.
     
  25. pbmagnet4 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #25
    If a high-res screen is really important to you then wait it out. I can tell you one thing and that is there will ALWAYS be something bigger and better. You can always use an external monitor...
     

Share This Page