Price Advice Buying Cinema Display with Apple repair history? Too risky?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by timidhermit, Nov 20, 2015.

1. timidhermit, Nov 20, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2015

timidhermit macrumors regular

I saw a decent deal on an used Apple LED Cinema Display (Display Port 27") on Craigslist.

The seller is upfront telling me that the LCD screen, power supply, and logic board had all been replaced (over a single incident) by Apple because of buzzing. Have receipt to prove work done by Apple and not anyone else.

Never bought an used monitor with a repair history. Is this risky? What should I look out for? The monitor looks great on the outside. But I just don't know enough about buying previously repair Apple products of this kind.

Please help!!!

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I've heard a lot of bad things regarding the LED Cinema Display, and I'm not exactly sure this would be a great purchase. But hey, if you really like it, all you need is a receipt and the warranty to be in place in order to have Apple repair it.

3. timidhermit thread starter macrumors regular

How can this be in Apple warranty for such an old model? I would not have expect it from a second-hand purchase. I don't understand your reply. Please explain. Thanks. :)

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

While its old, Apple has still be selling them in the refurb section on their website, so it might not be as old as you expect (or it could be older lol). I always get confused when I see ads for 2012 macs with 1 year of AppleCare left until I realize they come up in the refurb store.