Buying Dilemma 16gb wifi + 3g or 32gb wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TomCondon, Nov 28, 2010.

1. TomCondon macrumors regular

Hey guys just wondering which I should go for, the 16gb wifi +3g or the 32gb wifi only?

I want to use it mainly on the bus for watching movies etc (but I dont mind deleting after a watch etc), for typing on in college and for ebooks.

Also on the couch and on the crapper but thats immaterial :p

No music needed on it.

2. gidz macrumors newbie

I had the same dilemma and in the end went down the 32Gb Wifi route and haven't looked back. I would ask the question "do you have an iPhone or other type of smart phone?" If the answer is yes then what realistically are you going to to on the ipad that you can't do on your phone already.

That was my thinking anyway and it seems to be working fine, I use the iPad for reading books, comics, playing games, watching video on and then as a browser and for email when i am in range of wifi. I would say that if you have a jailbroken iPhone it is worth buying MiWI then you can use your phone to create a wifi network that you can access with you iPad - job done!!

3. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

16Gig Wifi & 3G. If you're going to use it on the bus, you'll enjoy the fact that you can occasionally log on and have the flexibility to be online when you want to be

I have a 64Gig 3G version, and it's only close to being full beause I've put my music on there. I purchased a 16Gig version for my bro and I was suprised at how much free space was left without there being music on the device.

You'll have plenty of room to put several movies on the 16Gig iPad. And if you're wondering about apps hoging the space, I have 160 apps, which I also put on my bro's iPad, and there was still quite a few Gig spare capacity. At the minute he has 4.1Gig of free space, with a few songs and a few tv shows and a movie on there

4. bentrider macrumors member

I debated between the 32G 3G and 64G Wi-Fi. Went with the later. Since I use mine more as a laptop replacement, I thought I'd need the space. And I have an iPhone so didn't see the need to have the 3G. I live in a major city and every coffee shop, bar and restaurant has Wi-Fi. And if I get desperate mobile hotspots are cheap now. In about six months of ownership there have been maybe two times I've kinda wished I had 3G somewhere.

5. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

The 3G Versions are the "whole deal", If you currently don't have more than 5GB of Music get the 16GB 3G+WiFi, the rest of the storage will allow you to have many apps and some 5 Full-Length movies

3G can be helpful to have some browsing on your bus on so on, it's a nice addition

6. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

3G all the way. With everything moving to the clouds, you really don't need all that much storage space. The ability to play Pandora in the background in iOS 4.2 has afforded me the option to all but remove my music collection from iPad.

Get the 3G. You won't regret it.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I would say the 32 should cover you. My 64 seems like way too much as I have some 30+gb of music, one movie and like eight full seasons of tv shows on it right now. If you are going to be in touch with a computer every couple of days or less to move fresh material on it maybe you could consider the 16gb.

The 3G decision is a whole other thing, do you think you will need a cell data connection? I think I do as plenty of places are either suckey wifi or the wifi is pay only plus I travel a lot.

8. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I skipped the 3G.

- I didn't want a second bill from AT&T.
    - If I was "on the move" I tended to just use my iPhone
    - If I was at a destination, I could generally find WiFi
    - I have a lot of off-line capable Apps on the iPad to get work done

It all depends on where you go, and what you want to do.

9. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Dump the 3G. Unlike the Kindle, 3G is not free. Since I'm paying AT$T $160 a month for two iPhones, just use MyWi or PdaNet to leech from your existing data plans.

10. mstout macrumors member

For me this would be a no-brainer. Get 32g for memory. You'll regret it if you don't. And skip 3G. I have NEVER had any problems finding free wifi or connecting to it. And in the future if you're dying for more connectivity you can get Sprint or other products to help. Good luck.

11. TomCondon thread starter macrumors regular

I should probably clarify I dont have a data plan on my smart phone just calls and texts, but yeah I might just get the wifi, and be able to put an obscene amount of films on my ipad :p

12. TomCondon thread starter macrumors regular

Also, is the compass with the 3g version any good, should that influence my decision?