buying dilemma

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Heavenkittykat, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

So I thought that I'm set to purchase a Macbook pro 2.53 Ghz 13.3 inch replacing my Rev A Macbook Air 1.6 Ghz. However, I realized through the macforums buying guide that the Macbook pro is nearing its cycle end and will probably get a microprocessor update (Arrandale) by jan/feb next year that it would probably be a good idea to wait until then. The problem is though I'm selling my MBA for $750 (not through ebay) and by the time that MBP gets a refresh the resale value of my MBA would go down significantly (I'm guessing 200-300 dollars). Also, the MBP is on sale right due to black friday discounts.

My question is, is the update (Arrandale) worth the wait and the extra cash? I've tried to read a few articles about it seems as if it stresses more on lowering the power consumption vs. super jump in performance. Is this true? I know that the MBP especially the 13.3 inch one would remain dual core instead of the quad core.

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

No.

The current MBP's will handle everything you need to do and would be a huge upgrade over your current laptop. It is very unlikely that you would notice small speed upgrades in normal use.

3. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

In fact, the chips set to be released with Arrandale will have substantially lower clocks, and will thus slow most apps on OS X (everything except for Logic and Final Cut at the moment)

4. lilskaterpunk macrumors regular

lilskaterpunk

@ OP, I was thinking the same thing.
    I don't think its worth the wait for a new cycle of MBP 13'' model as the current models are well to do! and yet to cough up some more $$$ as the current MBP 13'' models are on sale.

I was always wondering if the video cards in the 13'' MBP would be upgraded soon but thats a highly NO from the sounds of the topics going on. Its more of a processor update if anything...