buying dilemma

Heavenkittykat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2008
149
0
So I thought that I'm set to purchase a Macbook pro 2.53 Ghz 13.3 inch replacing my Rev A Macbook Air 1.6 Ghz. However, I realized through the macforums buying guide that the Macbook pro is nearing its cycle end and will probably get a microprocessor update (Arrandale) by jan/feb next year that it would probably be a good idea to wait until then. The problem is though I'm selling my MBA for $750 (not through ebay) and by the time that MBP gets a refresh the resale value of my MBA would go down significantly (I'm guessing 200-300 dollars). Also, the MBP is on sale right due to black friday discounts.

My question is, is the update (Arrandale) worth the wait and the extra cash? I've tried to read a few articles about it seems as if it stresses more on lowering the power consumption vs. super jump in performance. Is this true? I know that the MBP especially the 13.3 inch one would remain dual core instead of the quad core.
 

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
1,319
0
My question is, is the update (Arrandale) worth the wait and the extra cash
No.

The current MBP's will handle everything you need to do and would be a huge upgrade over your current laptop. It is very unlikely that you would notice small speed upgrades in normal use.
 
Comment

Techhie

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2008
1,160
0
The hub of stupidity
No.

The current MBP's will handle everything you need to do and would be a huge upgrade over your current laptop. It is very unlikely that you would notice small speed upgrades in normal use.
In fact, the chips set to be released with Arrandale will have substantially lower clocks, and will thus slow most apps on OS X (everything except for Logic and Final Cut at the moment)
 
Comment

lilskaterpunk

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
177
0
@ OP, I was thinking the same thing.
I don't think its worth the wait for a new cycle of MBP 13'' model as the current models are well to do! and yet to cough up some more $$$ as the current MBP 13'' models are on sale.

I was always wondering if the video cards in the 13'' MBP would be upgraded soon but thats a highly NO from the sounds of the topics going on. Its more of a processor update if anything...
 
Comment

Similar threads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.