Buying Direct from Apple or from Best Buy (service and repairs)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maceesback, Nov 29, 2007.

1. maceesback macrumors member

If I buy from an Apple store or from Apple online, my options for warranty service and repair are to take it to an Apple store, ship to Apple or take to an Apple certified service center. Does that pretty much sum it up?

If I buy from Best Buy, what are my options? Do I deal directly with Apple, or can I take it to Best Buy? Would Best Buy work on it themselves, or would they just ship it to Apple?

I ask because I live 15 minutes from a Best Buy but 2+ hours from the nearest Apple store. A four and one half hour round trip doesn't do much for me, nor does going to the trouble of shipping the thing back-and-forth myself. Just being able to take it to Best Buy sounds a lot easier, but I'm not sure how it works.

While I'm at it, same question, but if I buy from Amazon or some other online retailer. Thanks for any help.

2. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Hmmm... I'm not sure if Best Buy is an authorized Apple service provider. It's like taking your Porsche to a Ford dealership. Actually, I'm not even sure if I would even let Geek Squad touch my mac. Apple Care has a great turnaround (shipping method) and turns it around just about the same time BestBuy can turn it around.

Here's the bottom line. If the Apple at Best Buy serves your needs, get it from Best Buy. The Apple Store allows for customization, if you would like to modify it from the original specs. Either way, both come with the same Apple warranty with the option for the AppleCare upgrade, so if you buy from Best Buy, make sure you get the APPLECARE warranty and not the dippy Best Buy warranty... you can get it from AppleCare online after your purchase (you don't need to get it at the same time of purchase as your mac).

Just my $0.02

3. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Have read a lot of horror stories with BestBuy. Daughters xbf worked there in the service department, you don't want to know!

With Applecare, Apple usually will send you an overnight box for free to ship your computer. Turnaround time is usually 3 days, and is returned free. See
    no problems there.

Been an Apple customer before any brick and mortar stores, Have only needed 2 repairs. One was an iBook, and Apple took care of it as I mentioned above.....

4. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

With Apple working with Best Buy on recent ventures they are requiring many Geek Squad to get the same exact certs that the Apple Service guys do. So it would be no different. All Geek Squads can take them in and if they do not have an Apple Tech there it would be sent to the service center that does. As far as horror stories. Well thats a part of tech centers every where. I am sure you could find a large handfuls of horror stories with applecare also. No ones perfect and not everyone shares both sides of their stories also. All that aside if you buy your Apple from Best Buy you can have it serviced whatever way you would like. Apple, Apple Stores, Certified service centers or right at Best Buy which is a certified service center. WHy spend all that time and money driving to Apple Store when you can get the same thing there. Also if you are shopping this week you have 13 month no interest on their card, $50 instantly any all in one printer and a return policy that extends to Jan 31 for the holidays. Wow ... sounded like I know that stuff to well huh? :D No I dont work "for" Best Buy ....

Kevin :apple: