Buying fisrt Macbook: MBP mid-2012 vs. MBA mid-2012 vs. MBA mid-2013

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by g3tup, Apr 6, 2015.

1. g3tup macrumors newbie

Hi there,
    I want to buy first Macbook ever. Because of a budget I'm considering only used ones and want to choose beetwen these models: Macbook Pro 13' mid-2012 (i5 2,5 GHZ), Macbook Air 13' mid-2013 (i5 1,3 GHZ) and Macbook Air 13' mid-2012 (i5 1,8 GHZ). Let's assume that all of them has 8GB of RAM and SSD, which one should be more powerful?

I think that it should be MBP mid 2012 because of the higher clock rate, but can't find any tests or charts to confirm that. I use my computer to graphic works (2d) and sometimes some movie postproduction.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well to be honest

Movie post production will always be better on a quadcore, and for the sort of money you are spending on this mac a desktop PC will be far better.

However if portability is a must then the MBP will be better for longer, specs wise (assuming an SSD is installed it doesn't come with one).

If you cvan save for another month or 2 and get a refurb rMBP would be my advice, It'll last you a lot longer and the Haswell architecture is very good, thunderbolt 2 and AC wireless a bonus. The retina screen is the thing though, try and get one at all costs they really make a difference on a small screen, especially if you use it all day....

http://store.apple.com/us/product/F...-24ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

3. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

more powerful the pro but more reliable for years to come the 2013 macbook air plus it has twice the battery of the other two machines