Buying from another country's Apple Online Store where the price is lower?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by baryon, Aug 17, 2016.

1. baryon, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016

baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

It's well known that Apple's products vary a lot in price depending on the country. Let's imagine I live in France where a product is €1000 while the same exact product is €800 in the UK.

What's stopping me from going to apple.com/uk, ordering a Mac from the UK online store for the price that people in the UK have to pay, using my French debit card and entering my French shipping and billing address, since they ship worldwide for free? No import taxes either since both countries are in the EU (for now).

France vs. UK may not be the best example, but there are many EU countries where the price difference is huge.

I mean, if it was that simple, everyone would be doing it, but it seems like no one I know is doing this. But I don't see why this wouldn't work. Am I missing something? Do they reject the order if your payment card wasn't issued in that store's country or something?

2. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

As far as I know, apple won't ship to another country. You can buy online from another country with a card issued from practically anywhere but the shipping address must be within the same country of the online Apple Store.

3. Simche, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016

Simche macrumors member

Simche

That's what I know of too. They won't ship outside the country that you as a customer is visiting currently ex) apple.com/fr -> In France delivery only

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep they will only ship within that country.

Of course if you have some friends in the uk you can get it shipped to them and then pay for the. To ship it to you but you may get caught out by import taxes then and save nothing.

To be honest if that's the route you want to go then use eBay there are many companies shipping them cheap from America and sorting out all the taxes for you.