Buying Full Price from Verizon (5S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orangebluedevil, Aug 15, 2013.

1. orangebluedevil, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

orangebluedevil macrumors 6502

Howdy gents -

Thanks to your help I now know that I need to just buy my iPhone 5S outright. But now I'm lost again - I don't know how to do this on Verizon. Apple doesn't sell Unlocked Verizon models (because of CDMA) so I will have to buy through Verizon. That could change with iPhone 5S, but I can't plan on it.

So what I'll be looking to do is pay full price to Verizon on Day 1 in order to buy it outright - but do they even allow that? I'm hoping to preorder on the webiste and click some sort of "buy unsubsidized" option. If not, how do I buy a full price one during the preorder process.

Thanks - I'm an ATT expert, but Verizon noob.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Just go to Verizon and state that you wish to buy an iPhone for your line full price no contract. If they ask why, just state your reason (many here just wish to keep that unlimited data plan).

3. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! Do you know if I can do that via the preorder process? Online?

I suspect these bad boys are going to sell out within hours again and going to the store would put me way back in line.

4. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Pretty sure you gotta call VZW to set that up.

(800) 256-4646

5. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahhh, the phone, forgot about that thing. Great point, this is probably best done via a call. I can feel the frustration of that phone call already....

I can't imagine I'm the first person to do this, anyone pay full price from Verizon on Day 1 before?

6. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Think this through. You sure you wanna spend all the cake on a phone off contract?

7. rocksyoursock macrumors regular

rocksyoursock

I preordered a Verizon iPhone 5 last year on Apple's site, full price no contract renewal. When you preordered there was an option for full retail price. I just did that and did not renew my contract. I don't know if that will still be true though.

8. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

Why? To keep your data plan?

9. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Perfect! Thanks man. This is exactly what I need to know.

----------

Read the link in first post. That's why we do this. Cheaper.

10. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

I stood in line last year and grabbed a 16 and a 64 at the Apple store. I paid full price for both, went home, and activated them. I plan on selling my 64 and repeating the process with the 5S. I can't imagine if there would any issues.

11. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Also great info. Thanks. I have to ask, just to make sure, Verizon right?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

I bought my Verizon iPhone 5 from Apple for the subsidized price ($199), and it came GSM unlocked (for international use).

AFAIK, the Verizon iPhone 5, purchased from anywhere, is GSM unlocked (for international use).

The Verizon iPhone 4s was sold GSM locked (for international use), but Verizon would unlock it for you (over the phone) as long as you've been a customer for 90+ days.

So either way, it shouldn't be a worry about the iPhone 5s lock status. If it doesn't come unlocked when you purchase it (like the 5 did), Verizon should be able to unlock it for you. This should open the scope of where to track one down on launch day for you.

13. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

Wait for the announcement mate, arent they meant to be using some broadcom chips that can be used on all carriers? then you could get it direct from apple

14. orangebluedevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Go to apple.com and try to buy an unlocked unsubsidized Verizon iPhone. You can't. We don't know if this will be the same for iPhone 5S, but it's a logical thing to prepare for.

----------

I think Qualcomm right? But yeah, your point stands, hopefully this won't matter and they will have just one SKU. But Verizon usually demands it's own SKU (dont' get me started on that....), so we really don't know and I just want to get experience from older Verizon customers just to learn!

15. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt

Yep. Verizon.

16. SoIsays macrumors regular

OP, why don't you just buy a verizon iphone 5 at the apple store at full price? Or is that not allowed?

17. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

when i tried to buy an iphone 5 for full price, i was told they were only allowed to sell subsidized phones on contract. this was a corporate store. i had to go to an apple store to buy a phone outright.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Of course they said that. They were trying to get you to get rid of your unlimited data plan. Verizon is much, much more shrewed and draconian than AT&T.

AT&T gives a flying ******* and will renew your unlimited for life. That is what they have repeatedly stated. However, unlimited plans are dying quickly due to reckless users not knowing that their plans are gold and quite possibly in the future become commodities on their own.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i realize that, but that's not the point. the op wanted to know how to get an unsubsidized phone, and you offered a solution that just didn't work for me.

i think apple will let you buy an unsubsidized verizon phone as long as you're not upgrade eligible. that's what happened to me last year. i bought an iphone online in september, returned it, and then tried to buy another one after my upgrade eligibility changed. there wasn't an option to buy the phone outright, only on contract. if you're looking to pre-order an iphone, my best bet would be verizon's website or calling verizon over the phone.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It works, it is just that you have to point out Verizon's own policy on the matter. They corporate schills are out on the hunt for your plan.

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm finishing up year one on my Verizon contract. If I goto apple.com and try to buy another iPhone for that line, the unsubsidized price is my only option.

When the next iPhone comes out, that's what I'll do. Preorder on apple.com for full price this year. Preorder for the subsidized price next year. That's what you're trying to do, no?

Attached Files:

22. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think he qualifies for subsidized pricing now, but he wants to pay unsubsidized rates so that he can keep unlimited data. because he qualifies for a subsidy, there's no means to buy unsubsidized online.

23. fieldsphotos macrumors 6502

Hmmm, I have never tried to pre-order, but last year we were able to buy (2) unsubsidized Verizon iPhone 5's via Apple's online store after they launched. BUT - I can't remember if we were out of contract at that point or not. I thought we were, but we might not have been.

I see now that when I run through the online store I can't see that option anymore. I also see the FAQ answer implies that if you have a subsidy available, you may not be able to use the online site.

A new 2-year contract with Verizon Wireless is required for customers who are new to Verizon Wireless or for existing customers who qualify for a discounted iPhone price. Existing Verizon Wireless customers who do not qualify for a carrier-subsidized discounted iPhone pricing can also purchase a full-price phone activated to their existing contract without extending their contract duration.

Sigh, I guess that means we may have to wait until they are available in store unless the pre-order option works differently than the current system.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

You should be able to buy from Verizon or Apple directly (either in store or online).

25. evilrt macrumors regular

evilrt