Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
So my MBP is showing the 'Service Recommended' sign. Where I live, we only have any limited options for Apple products and almost always get ripped off. So I thought of getting a relative to buy the battery from some store or website in USA and get it here with him.

Apple doesn't manufacture or sell batteries and the only batteries I found online were third party chinese. I did find a UK website selling an OEM battery but couldn't find one in USA.

Need recommendations on where to buy genuine battery from.

MacBook Pro 13" 2017 non Touch Bar Model: A1708

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
In Canada and possibly the USA too, authorised Apple repair centres are not permitted to sell OEM parts without installing them for the customer because each part installed by the authorised centre will carry an Apple warranty.

You can buy batteries that are made by the same company that are compatible with your MacBook from Amazon and eBay but probably aren't OEM.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Need recommendations on where to buy genuine battery from.

MacBook Pro 13" 2017 non Touch Bar Model: A1708
The only place to get a genuine battery is from Apple or from an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Neither will sell you just the battery.
Given that you have a 2017, if you have a keyboard problem, Apple will repair that for free, and you'll get a new battery.

Reactions: Audit13

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

It sure helps if you tell us WHERE you live.

Can you call Apple directly?
NOT a 3rd-party repair shop or service.

Will they send you a prepaid shipping box to return it to them?
This is what others are doing in the USA with the brick n mortar Apple Stores closed.

Here in the USA, Apple charges $200 (US) for the replacement, IF it's not covered by AppleCare, etc.

Enferno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2013
Karachi
In Canada and possibly the USA too, authorised Apple repair centres are not permitted to sell OEM parts without installing them for the customer because each part installed by the authorised centre will carry an Apple warranty.

You can buy batteries that are made by the same company that are compatible with your MacBook from Amazon and eBay but probably aren't OEM.

How do I find out the name of the manufacturer? I think it's SMP but they don't sell batteries individually do they?

The only place to get a genuine battery is from Apple or from an Apple Authorized Service Provider. Neither will sell you just the battery.
Given that you have a 2017, if you have a keyboard problem, Apple will repair that for free, and you'll get a new battery.

No I don't have any keyboard problems fortunately(unfortunately?).

OP:

It sure helps if you tell us WHERE you live.

Can you call Apple directly?
NOT a 3rd-party repair shop or service.

Will they send you a prepaid shipping box to return it to them?
This is what others are doing in the USA with the brick n mortar Apple Stores closed.

Here in the USA, Apple charges $200 (US) for the replacement, IF it's not covered by AppleCare, etc.

I live in Pakistan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.