Buying help from 5 to 5c

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Guy Mancuso, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

So yesterday I got 2 5S grey phones for my son and I at the AT&T store for 449 each . Now my daughter really liked the 5c in pink of course and she has a white 5. Now none of my lines has a full upgrade but I was thinking if I bought straight out a unlocked 5c for full price of 549.00 sell her 5 for lets say 450.00 than its a hundred dollar swing. Could I just walk into AT&T and just switch the numbers for her existing phone number. Or is there some upgrade fee they would nail me with. Or I thought could I not just switch the SIM cards from the 5 to the 5c restore a backup and she is good to go for a 100 bucks extra. Also even at 23 she has been known to drop her phone on several occasions and maybe the 5c given the polycarbonate would be a better oh **** I dropped my phone unit.

So what's a good plan of attack and are those SIM cards the same

----------

Also my wife and her assistant are thinking the same thing.

2. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

You should be fine. They can't charge you an upgrade fee for a phone you own outright before walking in the door. My big question is why anyone in the world would throw $100 away changing a 5 out for a 5C. They're the same phone!

My mom bought a 5C yesterday, but she was coming from a 4S, so it was a bigger upgrade.

4. dotme macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure you can swap sims, negating a trip to AT&T

So the big questions are sale price of the 5 and availability of the 5C - both questions probably best answered in your local market. Personally I'd Craigslist the 5 and if I get the price I want, then buy the 5c.

5. Impuls3101 macrumors member

Buy a pink hard case for the 5. Problem solved because it will protect the phone better than the plastic back and save you a useless upgrade.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I don't really understand why anyone would spend money going from a 5 to 5c. They are essentially the same phone w/ different shell. If she has a 5 and likes pink tell her to go buy a pink case for $15. If you are worried she might drop it (and honestly if she is 23 that really isn't your job anymore -- if she breaks it its on her, right? She is an adult.) then tell her to buy a pink Otterbox case. But really if she's gotten along with her 5 so far then why sweat it either way. Leave it as is. I assume she has a case for her 5 already.

7. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

From 5 to 5c I guess its more a matter of color for my daughter, she loves pink and just opened her new hair salon which is that shabby chic look in mostly pink of course. So yea maybe a fashion statement more than anything else but I think a stronger phone overall when it comes to a mishap. She has broken a few phones already and recently. Lol

My wife's assistant same thing a fashion statement. My wife is more mature at 55 so she is more on the fence. Let's face it Apple made color phones for the younger crowd there is no doubt about it. Every young lady in high school lets say alone is a HUGE market for Apple. So they nailed a segment of the market that is fashion concise. I totally get that and agree with them, the plus is I believe its a stronger phone on a drop and that is also a huge selling point to parents buying kids phones. Seriously I had to replace a few on this apple phones. The polycarbonate screams kids use.

----------

Now I totally agree at 23 she is totally on here own. Believe me I drill it home all the time but she is still on my plan and as a parent you feel bad when bad things happen. Besides as a parent you always look out and try to guide your kids as long as we are around. Personally I would not buy a 5c or even think about dropping to one from a 5 myself. I went for the 5s and so did my 16 year old son. But we're tech nuts too. LOL

----------

Yea that's what I am thinking as well. I would think but not looked into it yet on the availability of the 5c as a walk in and buy off the shelf.

8. xofruitcake macrumors 6502a

I went to see the 5c yesterday and the table was pretty busy with a little bit more than half of the lookers in the 5s table. My wife almost get a 5c as well. She end up ordering the 5s because of the better camera. But the attraction with bright color and fun bumper combinations is real. 5c plastic shell construction is pretty spectacular. It feel really good when I am holding it. And it does not feel like plastic at all. It feel more like a laminate steel and very high quality construction. Woman, teenager and early twenty group who value fashion and design will eat up the 5c. If 5c can outsell last year's 4s in the same part of the product cycle, Apple will have a winner in it's hand.

9. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I went from 5 to 5C and I love it. The design is better on the 5C. Glad I switched

10. Guy Mancuso thread starter macrumors 6502a

Did you just switch sim cards

11. Becact macrumors member

Guy, yes you can simply switch the SIM cards. The contract is tied to the SIM, not the phone.