Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
EU
Hello guys,

I am very interested in buying HomePod, and my main interest for it primary lays in sound (music) reproduction quality, and secondary in making calls with it. I dont care much for "supersmart" options, which are, according to some, better on rival products. It would also be handy to have reliable voice recorder and dictating notes and reminders support over Siri, but I presume that feature on HomePod works well.

There are some rumors that HomePod 2 will be released in spring. I would NOT buy streamed down Mini version with inferior music reproduction. But if HomePod 2 / HomePod Pro is around the corner, I would wait.

Any comment is much appreciated. :)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Rumors mean nothing. You have two choices:

1. Buy one now.
2. Wait indefinitely

Only you can decide how long you are willing to wait.

bwoodruff

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2015
Western NY
The comments in this thread may help:

I ended up buying now.

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
EU
Thanks for reply! I really like everything about Homepod, but am a little bit concerned for not being able to connect to it without home Wifi running.
I understand if Apple wanted to avoid people with non-Apple gear from using it, but they could make it work like Airdrop; enabling peer to peer connection.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Thanks for reply! I really like everything about Homepod, but am a little bit concerned for not being able to connect to it without home Wifi running.
I understand if Apple wanted to avoid people with non-Apple gear from using it, but they could make it work like Airdrop; enabling peer to peer connection.
By “WiFi”, did you mean internet? Or WiFi network? Apple Music on HomePod requires internet but airplaying from a device doesn’t (I’m fairly certain). Airplay may or may not even require an existing WiFi network, though it does require at least an adhoc WiFi connection just like airdrop does. I haven’t tried it, but according to some in this apple thread [https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8277076], you can make it work peer to peer just like airdrop if you have the HomePod set to work with devices on a different WiFi network. Someone also pointed out you can also use another phone’s hotspot.

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
EU
By “WiFi”, did you mean internet? Or WiFi network? Apple Music on HomePod requires internet but airplaying from a device doesn’t (I’m fairly certain). Airplay may or may not even require an existing WiFi network, though it does require at least an adhoc WiFi connection just like airdrop does. I haven’t tried it, but according to some in this apple thread [https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8277076], you can make it work peer to peer just like airdrop if you have the HomePod set to work with devices on a different WiFi network. Someone also pointed out you can also use another phone’s hotspot.

Thanks! I dont have Apple Music, Im a Deezer user (only music streaming music service available in my country). Does this adhoc Wifi connection mean that I could transfer my (potential future) HomePod to my friends house and connect there to HomePod with my iPhone without setting HomePod with his/hers home internet again?

I also couldnt find anything regarding using HomePods Siri for voice commands for Deezer. For instance, when I say to my iPhone "Hey Siri, play my favourite songs" she says I dont have favourite playlist (because she doesnt see any music in iTunes/Apple Music). But when I say "Hey Siri, play XYZ on Deezer" she understands and opens Deezer and play music from that app. It would be great if HomePod could do the same as iPhone.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Does this adhoc Wifi connection mean that I could transfer my (potential future) HomePod to my friends house and connect there to HomePod with my iPhone without setting HomePod with his/hers home internet again?
Yeah, that’s the idea. If it’s true, you’d be able to directly connect your iphone to your homepod anywhere as long as they’re somewhat near each other. But again, that’s according to people in that thread. Hopefully, someone here can verify.

I also couldnt find anything regarding using HomePods Siri for voice commands for Deezer. For instance, when I say to my iPhone "Hey Siri, play my favourite songs" she says I dont have favourite playlist (because she doesnt see any music in iTunes/Apple Music). But when I say "Hey Siri, play XYZ on Deezer" she understands and opens Deezer and play music from that app. It would be great if HomePod could do the same as iPhone.
Unfortunately, homepod by itself can only play from Apple Music (via internet). If you are airplaying from your iphone to homepod, you can use Siri (on homepod) for basic controls for the song/list currently playing, such as pause, play, back, next—but she doesn’t have access to your iphone’s music beyond that. You’d have to pull up other songs, playlists, artists, etc. using your iphone.
Also FYI, using Siri requires internet.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I know there were some rumors of a smaller model to launch at some point in the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple abandoned the HomePod, altogether. I own two and they’re just ok, in my opinion. The sound quality is fantastic and using them as receiving speakers, alone, is pretty great. But using it for Siri queries and for Apple Music suggestions is a real disappointment. I’ve also experienced a number of connectivity issues, but that may very well be due to iOS 13 bugs.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I know there were some rumors of a smaller model to launch at some point in the future, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple abandoned the HomePod, altogether. I own two and they’re just ok, in my opinion. The sound quality is fantastic and using them as receiving speakers, alone, is pretty great. But using it for Siri queries and for Apple Music suggestions is a real disappointment. I’ve also experienced a number of connectivity issues, but that may very well be due to iOS 13 bugs.
I don’t think they can afford to abandon it entirely. They need to keep Siri relevant. However I don’t think it’s at the top of their priority list.

Reactions: bhodinut

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I don’t think they can afford to abandon it entirely. They need to keep Siri relevant. However I don’t think it’s at the top of their priority list.
I hear you, but outside of a slightly more realistic voice (which I could barely tell the difference), what real enhancements have they made to Siri in the last two years?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I hear you, but outside of a slightly more realistic voice (which I could barely tell the difference), what real enhancements have they made to Siri in the last two years?
Nothing of any substance but they have hired someone who used to work at Google on the google assistant so I think they do want to improve things. However I think the problem is it isn’t a priority for them. Google made computational a main priority years ago. Alexa is amazon’s bread and butter in terms of their own products. For Apple Siri is just one of many things they are working on.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I, too, believed that hiring Giannandrea would change things but it's been a year, and I haven't seen much of any improvement in the most basic things that I try to use Siri for. I'll be the first to eat my own hat if things change, but I simply don't have faith in Apple making Siri even somewhat useful.

Reactions: 1196403

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
EU
Bought the HomePod. I really liked everything I read about its sound quality and that is my top priority. I can also answer calls with it which is really all I need. Music and Calls.

Reactions: Plett

Cancelled
Oct 30, 2019
I got mine off eBay. This thing isn’t worth more than $200. Siri doesn’t work as well as it does on iOS portable devices and Apple Watch. The sound sound quality is also laughable. The newly added mini-features such as ambient sounds are nice, but it really doesn’t warrant the price that Apple charges in my opinion.

airplay works great and since you don’t have Apple Music, I would choose a different option IMHO

Reactions: Pipper99

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
I got mine off eBay. This thing isn’t worth more than $200. Siri doesn’t work as well as it does on iOS portable devices and Apple Watch. The sound sound quality is also laughable. The newly added mini-features such as ambient sounds are nice, but it really doesn’t warrant the price that Apple charges in my opinion.

airplay works great and since you don’t have Apple Music, I would choose a different option IMHO
I agree that I wouldn't pay more than $200 for the speaker, but I do think the sound quality is great. I'm not an audiophile by any means, so certainly not an expert's opinion here, but I do think the sound quality is strong. Focus group of one.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

KowalskiFUT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2017
EU
I still wait for mine to arive, but I do believe sound quality is great. Most non-audiophiles like way too much bass, and everything that doesnt have bloated bass sound boring to them. I hope for neutral ("flat") sound signature.

Reactions: Plett

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013

If your not happy with the sound quality, try mixing the HomePod. I found the first place I put it sound was ok. Moved it to another and the sound was much better.

Reactions: 1196403

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2019
If your not happy with the sound quality, try mixing the HomePod. I found the first place I put it sound was ok. Moved it to another and the sound was much better.
Do you need to reset the device when you move it, or does it automatically recalibrate to its surroundings?

V_Man

Cancelled
Aug 1, 2013
I’m pretty sure that it has a accelerometer in it. This way it knows when it’s been moved.

I could be completely wrong. But I read that here somewhere.

Reactions: pcd213

Cancelled
Oct 30, 2019
I’m pretty sure that it has a accelerometer in it. This way it knows when it’s been moved.

I could be completely wrong. But I read that here somewhere.

It does. If I remember correctly there was some official statement from Apple regarding this. The sound quality is just ok. Not $300 in my opinion. If Siri worked better it might be worth it but the HomePod is a complete disaster.. still after Apple has hired additional people. It’s a product that has a lot of potential. It’s worth $200 not a cent more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.