Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
So target offers $60 gift card, with a purchase of an iPad 3/4 which obviously is not applied at check out.
Bestbuy offers $40 dollars off the iPad.

which one would you guys most likely go to? buy an ipad and get 60 gift card or prefer to get $40 off the ipad?
none are doorbusters i believe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 9.26.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 9.26.28 PM.png
    522 KB · Views: 405
  • Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 9.28.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 9.28.57 PM.png
    175.7 KB · Views: 279

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Simple really.

If you regularly shop at Target or if you planned on $60 in accessories anyway then it's a no brainer. Else it makes more sense to get 40 instantly.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Get the target DEBIT red card and use that on the ipad to save 5% off making the ipad $474.99. You will get a $60 gift card and use that to buy essentials for the house. If you are a spoiled kid then give that gift card to your parents. You will get holiday returns which should cover you for full refund till jan 26th for regular purchase and FEB 26th for TARGET RED DEBIT/CREDIT card.

end thread

http://www.target.com/HelpContent?h.../returns_and_refunds.html&lnk=gfot_t_spc_1_22

The following items must be returned within 30 days: Computers, netbooks, laptops, eReaders, tablets, cameras, camcorders, digital audio players, GPS systems, video game hardware, personal DVD players, and no-contract cell phones. For these items purchased between 11/1 – 12/25, the 30 day refund period will start on 12/26.

REDcard debit and credit card holders will receive an extra 30 days to return nearly all items purchased with their REDcard at Target and Target.com. For additional details visit Target.com/REDcard.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Get the target DEBIT red card and use that on the ipad to save 5% off making the ipad $474.99. You will get a $60 gift card and use that to buy essentials for the house. If you are a spoiled kid then give that gift card to your parents. You will get holiday returns which should cover you for full refund till jan 26th for regular purchase and FEB 26th for TARGET RED DEBIT/CREDIT card.

end thread

http://www.target.com/HelpContent?h.../returns_and_refunds.html&lnk=gfot_t_spc_1_22

The following items must be returned within 30 days: Computers, netbooks, laptops, eReaders, tablets, cameras, camcorders, digital audio players, GPS systems, video game hardware, personal DVD players, and no-contract cell phones. For these items purchased between 11/1 – 12/25, the 30 day refund period will start on 12/26.

REDcard debit and credit card holders will receive an extra 30 days to return nearly all items purchased with their REDcard at Target and Target.com. For additional details visit Target.com/REDcard.
Rather not get a debit card,already have one. I get payed that day so I might go for best buy not sure

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Rather not get a debit card,already have one. I get payed that day so I might go for best buy not sure

You don't have to get THEIR debit card. You can get the RED card and link it to your checking account (which your debit card is linked to, right?). So in essence, you'll have 2 cards linked to your checking account.

I do this and always save 5% at Target this way. Really convenient.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA

It makes no sense to NOT have a target debit red card. You get 5% off every single purchase at checkout, there's no fees. It links directly to your checking account like your current debit card. Nordstrom and target are the only stores to offer this to customers. You should sign up for it then get the deal at target n you'll get $20-40 off right away when you get it and get the $60 gift card!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
It makes no sense to NOT have a target debit red card. You get 5% off every single purchase at checkout, there's no fees. It links directly to your checking account like your current debit card. Nordstrom and target are the only stores to offer this to customers. You should sign up for it then get the deal at target n you'll get $20-40 off right away when you get it and get the $60 gift card!

Explain a little more on the debit card please

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

Any monthly fee? I'm sure there's a catch to it. My debit at suntrust if free because I'm a student. Idk about target

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Any monthly fee? I'm sure there's a catch to it. My debit at suntrust if free because I'm a student. Idk about target

There is no catch to having one. That's why I, as a Nordstrom employee, always refer customers to the Nordstrom debit card. I do the same to people I know about the target debit card. Essentially it acts as a 3rd party card that is connected to your checking. When you swipe the card at their POS terminals, a charge is put on the target card. Once the charge posts, the system automatically processes a withdrawal from your bank to support that charge. This is what differentiates it from being a credit card, because the charges are automatically paid for with the automated withdrawals from your account. Typically it will take 3-5 business days for the money to be taken out of your checking after you make th purchase. Again, it's not a credit card. It's a debit card. They do a soft credit check only. All you need is a blank check that they'll get your account info from, and then your ID and you'll enter your info in the pin pad screen. It's seriously win win. And just like debit cards, if you don't have money in your account by the time target processes the withdrawal, you'll get hit with an "overdraft" fee. It basically would be like bouncing a check.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2011
How early do you think someone would have to be at Best Buy in order to take advantage of this? And on the ad it says 40-60 dollars off. I'm a little confused on which is what.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
Nevermind. People will always start threads seeking advice from strangers for the simplest of life's decisions. Sad.

Last edited:

dmw16

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
With either of these offers you're going to need to be there pretty early.

bagelmaker

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2012
I think Target has the absolute worst customer service of all the big box stores and I would never make a big purchase there for fear any returns would be a terrible hassle. Might just be my town's store, but they really couldn't care less about keeping customers happy. Best Buy on the other hand has excellent service and I'm pretty sure they have a fair return policy.

sealos

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Why don't you AVOID the rush and the need to "get there early" by just purchasing the exact model you want a couple days before the sale and just walk in to customer service for a price adjustment and get the promotion for the day?

If they won't do the price adjustment or have a no price adjustment policy during Black Friday, just return it and immediately buy it back.

It helps if you do not open the package before you do this by the way.

I did this last year at Wal-Mart. I bought an Xbox system and like 8 games the week before Black Friday. I showed up to Wal-Mart a few minutes after they opened for the madness and after everyone RUSHED in to fight for the things I had already had in my hands. I walked up to the Customer Service section and proceeded to return and repurchase everything at the lower Black Friday prices.

Last edited:

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
I think some people are confusing Target's RED Debit Card, with their RED Store Visa Card. The Debit Card does not have a balance or any fees. It's works just like your bank debit card, but for Target and you get 5% off. If you shop at Target at all, then there really is no reason not to get one unless you still prefer using just cash or checks (if you are still using checks, I hate you :p).

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
BB employee here. If you notice, that's an iPad 3 on our site not the 4th gen (MC705 is the 3 model number). If the store has any 3's left you can go pick one up NOW for $50 off. Not sure if its a mistake and well have the 4th gen for $40 off but for now that's just the 3.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
BB employee here. If you notice, that's an iPad 3 on our site not the 4th gen (MC705 is the 3 model number). If the store has any 3's left you can go pick one up NOW for $50 off. Not sure if its a mistake and well have the 4th gen for $40 off but for now that's just the 3.

Why bother? Apple has discounted the 3's much more but calls them refurbs.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009

Totally agree! I have the RED (Debit) card for Target and it's great! With 5% off everything as well as free shipping at Target.com, you really can't go wrong. (I also have the Nordstrom one as well.)

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Why does everyone push the debit card? The less you have tied to your checking account the better you are.

Get the CREDIT version of the RED card. Build credit, more secure, no fees, same benefits. Pay it off every month.

----------

I think Target has the absolute worst customer service of all the big box stores and I would never make a big purchase there for fear any returns would be a terrible hassle. Might just be my town's store, but they really couldn't care less about keeping customers happy. Best Buy on the other hand has excellent service and I'm pretty sure they have a fair return policy.

Your target sucks. There are 3 within a 5 mile radius of me and I've purchased and returned many items without problems or questions.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
Because not every one wants to add another retail credit card to their wallet. I have 7 cards and don't want another retail card. Not everyone needs another credit card. But having the store debit card makes complete sense.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Why don't you AVOID the rush and the need to "get there early" by just purchasing the exact model you want a couple days before the sale and just walk in to customer service for a price adjustment and get the promotion for the day?

If they won't do the price adjustment or have a no price adjustment policy during Black Friday, just return it and immediately buy it back.

It helps if you do not open the package before you do this by the way.

I did this last year at Wal-Mart. I bought an Xbox system and like 8 games the week before Black Friday. I showed up to Wal-Mart a few minutes after they opened for the madness and after everyone RUSHED in to fight for the things I had already had in my hands. I walked up to the Customer Service section and proceeded to return and repurchase everything at the lower Black Friday prices.

Best buy will not price match any Black Friday prices.

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
The last time Target had a gift card promo with iPad purchase, the deal was also available online (saves the mad rush).

Besides paying with the red card, don't forget to go through your airline mileage rewards portal to get air miles, or that ebates (.com) site-- Get 2% back for Target online purchases...

(not an ad for any mentioned item)

note: Apple doesn't pricematch/adjust for Black Friday/ Cyber Monday specials
http://store.apple.com/us/open/salespolicies

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.