Buying iPhone 4 now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SimonUK5, Sep 25, 2013.

1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

How long do you all think the iPhone 4 will continue to be supported? past iOS7 and have a really long run like the 3GS did?

Just been offered a free upgrade from my 3GS...

2. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I can't imagine it being supported much longer with new OSes. The 3GS is not iOS7 compatible and the iphone 4 was only released a year after the 3GS. When you say you were offered a free upgrade - meaning using up an actual upgrade through your carrier, or just being given it completely free. If the former, I wouldn't waste an upgrade on a 4, you can at least get a 4S for free with a 2 year contract.

3. billycuth macrumors 6502a

iOS7 is probably the last full OS update it will see. That means probably about 2 more years.

4. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Contracts in the UK SUCK.

Yeah its a carrier upgrade, i'll be paying £15.50 (around $27 bucks i guess?) for the iPhone 4 8GB (lol) , 50 minutes , 100 texts and 1gb of data lol.

2 years is fine, if i have to buy a phone inbetween its not a massive issue, but i don't want to buy a phone now if i can get a free one :)

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

At this point, I'm not sure I would buy a iPhone 4.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

I wouldn't recommend an iPhone 4 on contract. It's a 3 plus year phone in terms of technology.

I am surprised they didn't offer at least the 4S on contract for free.

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

That's a pretty nice plan though. I wish I could get something that inexpensive here in the US.

8. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

The iPhone 4 is four generations old now, you might want something newer.

9. Pompiliu macrumors 6502a

Pompiliu

Get the 4S at least, if you can.
    The 4 is so slow in iOS7 and in doesn't support a lot of features and i'm pretty sure it won't get updated to iOS8
    Trust me, you don't wanna be stuck for two years with the 4. In 2005, it will be 5 year old, lol. :)

10. laurasaur25 macrumors member

I have the 4 right now and am waiting on the 5s in the mail. It's not a bad phone by any means but doesn't have the speed of the later models. That would be my concern. This is likely the last update it will receive since it's the earliest model supported. If I were you, I would look through third party sellers. I know my 4 is only worth $100-$200 in the US so it may be worth looking into the price of the 4s which will likely be supported a little longer.

11. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

At the very least, get the 4S.

The 4 is pretty slow and laggy (at least my room mates 4 was) and iOS7 will probably be the last software update it can run.

The 4S still has about 2 more years before it becomes "forgotten". And the 4S is still a very able and fast phone. I still have my 4S and might wait for the 6. The 4S is fast enough and runs iOS7 flawlessly, so it doesn't leave me with the desire to upgrade.

12. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

Get someting newer, the iphone 4 is really old. Get second hand iphone 5 or new 5c/s, ios 7 is running on the 4 but It isn't great at all :rolleyes:

13. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

Right now the sweet spot for older iPhones is the 4S. It still runs pretty fast and is obviously cheaper than the newer models.

The iPhone 4 started feeling slow with iOS 6. I would much rather find a used secondhand 4S than get a new 4 (especially if it locks you into a contract!)