Buying iPhone 5 from T-Mobile vs Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimsowden, Apr 22, 2013.

1. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Hey MR. I have a few questions regarding buying an AWS iPhone 5. I know buying it from T-Mobile is $50 cheaper ($649  vs 579 T-Mo), but my question is has anyone that's bought from T-Mobile restored in iTunes and gotten the "Congratulations your iPhone has been unlocked" after paying full price? I just got one from the Apple store and got confirmation, so I'm curious if I should return. IF it's going to be a massive hassle getting t-mobile to unlock a phone I fully own, it may not be worth it.

Also, what are the experiences people are having with getting T-Mo to take the SIM card that comes with the phone and put it on the $30 4G/100/Unl prepaid plan? When I talked to online chat support, they said it was a simple phone call and a rep can do it no problem. I'm a bit skeptical.

Any and all experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you buy it full price from apple then it should already be unlocked. Mine worked with an AT&T SIM card I tried the other day.

If you get it from Tmobile without signing up for their new uncarrier plans then you can't get it for $580, it's going to be $650. Also you will have to keep the plan for 40 days before they will unlock it even if you pay the $580 outright for it.

Basically if you don't plan to use it on tmobiles new plans for at least 2 months then just buy it from Apple.

Activating the SIM card that comes with it from Apple is no problem. You can either go online and just enter the SIM card number yourself or call 611 for them to do it for you. Even on the prepaid plans.

3. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

Here is the official policy with direct links to their website.

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/ask-tmonews-what-is-t-mobiles-new-device-unlock-policy/

I wouldn't go off what that rep said on the chat. Read it yourself. You're going to. Have to keep that simple choice for a while. I recommend just getting it from Apple.

5. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

6. jimsowden thread starter macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I did read it. It confirms what the rep is saying.

The policy you're referencing is for a device that isn't paid for in full, as evidenced as "full retail price" not being listed as a requirement under post-paid.

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

My experience so YMMV:

Bought iPhone 5 outright (paid in full) from T Mobile store April 12, and called CSR to request to get it unlocked April 15.
    The CSR did not even ask for me to fax the receipt and said he could see the transaction in the system.

After a day I got an email to plug into iTunes to start unlock process, and after I plugged into iTunes I got the "Congrats your iPhone is unlocked."

Have not verified by putting an ATT sim but the "Congrats" message is a pretty good indication.
    Will finally double check later this week if I can get hold of someones ATT nano sim......

I've been a T Mobile customer for at least over 6 years fyi.

8. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

9. Fdfan100 macrumors member

If you're trying to buy the iPhone unlocked, I suggest just getting it from Apple. I would've myself had I known of the trouble I had to deal with, I guess my overall savings of $20 with T-Mobile came with a lot more than I expected.

The customer service with prepaid and postpaid is night and day with T-Mobile. Since April 12, I've been trying to unlock my phone. Did up to four request, all of them keep getting denied. Even when my receipt that was faxed in shows I paid full retail. I'm on my fifth request now, the last two were supposedly done the right way stating that I paid full retail. It's a bit frustrating, since I'm already overseas now and not able to use a prepaid sim with my iPhone. When I was a postpaid customer, never had an issue unlocking any device, never even had to send in proof of purchase.

10. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

So when you say in paid "full" and "outright" do you mean $649 or $579 (16 GB pricing)?

11. Am3r1ca16 macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Half the time the rep don't know what they are saying.

12. Akack macrumors 6502a

$579 + tax.

Earlier I further confirmed my unlock request went through, besides the "Congrats your iPhone is unlocked" via iTunes.

Borrowed my co workers ATT nano sim and plugged into my T Mobile iPhone 5 and it worked, showed ATT LTE on top, made a call and data worked as well.

I'm not on prepaid but the new postpaid no contract simple value plans.

13. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Thanks. Some of those who paid $579 were initially denied because they were told it is not "full price". It must have been pre-paid. From your experience, it seems, if one is postpaid and has paid $579, they will unlock with no waiting period. For prepaid, 60 days. I wonder where the 40 days limit comes. A bit confusing.

14. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I just switched and not even sure if I'm prepaid or post ? ... All I know it's the 'uncarrier plan' aka no contract $70 ($50+$20 ) unlimited everything plan. No tethering on this though :( .... At least, the device came with 6.1.2 ;)

Just checked again .... It's the ' Simple Choice Plan ' is this pre or postpaid ? Anybody know ?

Thanks!!!

15. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i'd go with buying at the apple store over a t-mobile store. you have more time to return your phone (30 vs 14 days) and with no restocking fee.

post.

16. mlody macrumors 6502a

I got iPhone 5 from T-Mobile on the 12th. Yesterday, I called them to get an unlock code (i paid in full), but i was advised that I would have to wait 2 weeks before I could request an unlock code - the reasons being is that I am in the buyers remourses period (2 weeks). Has anyone exirienced this scenario?

17. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

Isn't the 30 day remorse period just for California?

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

Even if you buy the one that comes with a Tmobile sim from the Apple Store, the return period is 14 days. That's what my receipt says.

19. Akack, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

Akack macrumors 6502a

It should be a postpaid no contract. If T Mobile bills you AFTER you use the month of service then you are on a postpaid.
    Concerning the tethering, did you try going into settings > general > cellular > personal hotspot and turn it on??

Your plan should include 500 MB of hotspot tethering.

----------

Nope, I bought mine 4/12 and paid in full and already got it unlocked by TMobile ( confirmed unlocked on iTunes and by swapping a friends att nano sim). I'm not on prepaid but the no contract/postpaid plan.

20. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it's not a remorse period for a cellular contract; it's apple's store-wide return policy on iphones.

21. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Yeah, it gets billed after.... Thanks for clarifying! :D

The return/exchange policy is 20 days from TMO [ as informed by a phone rep ]

As for 500 MB tethering, I called a few times and was told that the unlimited data plan does NOT include any tethering. I also tried setting it up on my iPhone and it keeps popping a message to call TMobile to set up my Personal HotSpot.

The CSRs keep telling me to downgrade to the 5 GB data plan which will include 500 MBs tethering [ which can be upgraded with additional $$ ]

Then, one CSR said there were two unlimited data plans [ same price and features as mine ] but it required a contract and will include 500 MBs tethering.

For now, I'm JB'en [ unit came with 6.1.2 and carrier settings updated to 14.1 ] so tethering isn't an issue... But, these plans are a bit confusing!

22. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

That makes no sense, it clearly states on the website that the $70 unlimited plan comes with tethering of 500 mb. It also states if you need to buy more, it's $10 for 2 gb if I want to add more tether on that plan. :confused: My intentions were to go with that plan. Can someone clear this up, because CSR reps sometime give wrong info. That would drive me batty to buy the phone with that intention and I can't tether on that plan.

23. upnorth85 macrumors 6502

I suspect rules are different for prepaid and postpaid/simple choice plans. Are you on prepaid or postpaid?

24. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

I am making my order now. I decided to try prepaid first. The only way to get a nano sim is online?

25. bozzykid macrumors 68020

You can't get a nano-sim online for prepaid. Prepaid requires you to buy a SIM activation kit (it comes with an activation code). You will have to order a micro or regular sim online and setup your account once you receive the sim. Then you can either cut it down or go into a T-Mobile store for a nano-sim (but you will need an active account first).