Buying iPhone 5 to tryout till 5S comes out? Then return it and buy 5S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Spetsnazos, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Spetsnazos macrumors regular

So I was planning on trying out the iPhone to see how I like it and it seems like good time to do that with the 5S likely launching pretty soon. I figure its going to be more of less of the same phone with a faster cpu/bettercamera/fingerprint/flash so I'll get a good flavor for things.

My goal was to try out the phone and test it out for 3 weeks or so until the new one launches. Then return this one if I want the 5S or just keep it if the differences are super minor.

Thoughts?

2. The New iPad macrumors regular

You've already decided to be a scumbag human being, why are you asking us? You're going to do it anyway if you know they'll let you return it.

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Little bit harsh there, no? :p

In any case, it's probably immoral at best. But hey, Apple won't care if they get another sale.

4. Spetsnazos, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013

Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

the whole point of them letting you return it is whether or not you like the product. Just because the product has no defect doesn't mean you can't return it. It just might not be something you prefer.

Are you aware what the return policy is ?

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Thanks for pushing up the price for all of us decent human beings.

How about wait, buy the 5s and then keep it if you like, return if you don't?

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

If you're going to buy the 5, why not wait and get the 5S since you'll be getting either one for the same price anyway.

7. Loqui1286 macrumors newbie

I've been going onto these forums for a long time but never really felt the need to register until now. Just an FYI if you are going to get the iPhone 5 with the intention of returning it make sure you know the return policy of your particular carrier. Apple lets you return it in 30 days but carriers only give you 14 and after that you lose your upgrade and basically get nothing for your effor.

8. Spetsnazos thread starter macrumors regular

I figure the 5S will likely launch mid September to Early October based on the recent rumors?

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

What difference is it going to make? They're both the same price right now.

10. Ajones330 macrumors 6502a

Ajones330

Which carrier are you with because AT&T has a 14 day return policy now?

11. Tokyo1138 macrumors member

lol the price has Always been hold up atrifically high since the keep there popularity... he is the the first and certainly not the last who will go and buy then regardless of price... the same atory with apple macbooks. there nice and i would really like to have one (got and iMac btw) but these are Always so ridiculessy high... and if the do drop (a tiny bit) then PC tech of 4 years is stronger then it...:(

12. Erphern macrumors 6502

No it's not, the point of them letting you return it is to ensure you're happy; allowing you to return it if you don't like the product. You're intending to return it if you do like the product. Right?

"We understand, however, that sometimes a product may not be what you expected it to be. In that unlikely event, we invite you to review the following terms related to returning a product." (www.apple.com)

13. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

the only way you can do this is if you are a premier silver member as best buy. I do not know if they will charge you a restocking fee but i do know if there are an excess of scratches they will not take it back.

14. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Just wait for the 5S. It's not like the price is going up and it's less than a month away from being available.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It's always the ones that reply with this much vitriol that are guilty of exactly what they chastise us for doing.

16. Loqui1286 macrumors newbie

Besides it isn't like the 5s will be worse than the 5. Just wait a month and get the 5s. Well maybe month and a half.

17. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If only there was some type of area you could go where a manufacturer could put out their products in some organized fashion and then people could come by and visit and look at the aforementioned products and make an educated decision about what they wanted to buy. Oh god, think about it, you could have multiple areas like this housed in one building, each store selling something different...

This is why I shouldn't get high in the afternoon, I just come up with some wild, fairytale **** that will never actually exist.

18. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Well.. isn't that an Apple store?

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If you really want the 5S just be patient and wait for it.

20. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I think he was being ironic!

21. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Based on past releases and common sense, I'm 80% sure it'll be released 20th Sept.

22. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I think you're getting this confused with shoplifting. You're entitled to return a product if you're not satisfied. He's just too impatient to do it with the 5s itself and wants to take the 5 for a spin. It's like test driving a 2013 model of a car to help you decide if you might like the 2014 model.

What you're suggesting and what he's suggesting will both have the end result of him purchasing a 5s if he likes it or not purchasing if he doesn't.

23. Erphern macrumors 6502

Does test driving a car turn the car into a refurb?

24. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Well, technically you are putting miles on it...

And there are plenty of people who want to buy refurbs.

25. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Guys who cares... Apple offers this service and have designed their policies accordingly. No need to call someone a scumbag for playing within the rules.