Buying iPhone 5 - who has the lowest price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ahheck01, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Ahheck01, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2013

Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

I know best buy had the $50 + $100 gift card in January, and Wal-Mart was $127 for a while. If I were to buy my wife an iPhone 5 tomorrow (on contract, upgrade pricing), where's the cheapest place? Is there a way to buy online to avoid tax? Would locally discounted but with tax (7% in Iowa) be the way to go?

Cheers!

2. standingoten macrumors newbie

To avoid contract you will have to buy full retail $650 plus tax. You can also save a couple bucks and buy it on Craigslist for $400-$450. Haggle your way down. Make sure you are safe about it though (meet at carrier store to get it activated).

For on-contract...it depends on the carrier you are on. AT&T for example has refurbs that are cheaper but technically "new".

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Shoot, I meant to avoid tax. I expect to renew the contract to get upgrade pricing.

4. standingoten macrumors newbie

Well tax is regulated by the state you are in. If you aren't in a no-tax state you are out of luck. What state are you in? Maybe you live on the border of your state next to a no-tax state? A quick drive over the border to get the item could work.

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm in Iowa, but I buy things online all the time without paying tax.

6. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That doesn't mean anything. State laws vary and your state could very well be one of those where sales tax is supposed to be collected even on online purchases. I can't speak to your state's specific sales tax laws.

7. hulujack macrumors newbie

Not bad, basically is redirecting you to eBay.

8. 617aircav Suspended

I second craigslits. My buddy bought a mint white att iPhone 5 for $300.

9. megapopular macrumors 6502a

What provider do you have??