Buying iPhone tomorrow...had a couple of questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grimreaper1377, Aug 6, 2008.

1. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've got a lot of out these forums without even posting. I'm going to go and buy an iPhone tomorrow, but I have a couple of questions.

1) Based on this thread, it seems that it upgrade eligibility can be transfered within the family plan. Should I go to an apple store, or would it be safer to go to an at&t store? Also, can I buy it at an apple store, and do all the switching and stuff at an at&t store if the at&t store is sold out?

2) Will my iPhone have 2.0.1 on it? If it doesn't, should I upgrade? I've been hearing stories about signal being reduced and stuff like that. If it does have 2.0.1, should I try and downgrade?

Sorry for the questions.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

2. wadejc85 macrumors 6502

Well, just because you go to an ATT store does not guarantee a person who can actually help you with ATT service. When I went to ATT and got my iPhone 3G, the guy put my two family plan phones on two separate $100 service plans a month. All he was supposed to do was put on a $30 data plan. He must have been a little :confused:.

3. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

I've also heard that the switching can be done over the phone. Is this possible? Also, if I switch the sim cards, will that change the numbers too?

Thanks.

4. MacAngel40 macrumors member

Hi, I asked about that on my family plan and yes, the phone number is attached to the sims card and not the phone.
    Hope that helps.

5. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks wadejc85 and MacAngel.

Still wondering one more thing - Should I do this at an at&t store or just go ahead and buy from an apple store and call them later? Or just go to an at&t store after buying from an apple store?

Thanks

6. trixnrice macrumors member

when i got my iphone, i added a line to my family plan, but i'm using the iphone with MY main line. Apple store activated the phone with a new sim card (included in the iphone) with a new number, and "added data/text plan". however i already had texting, but apple store can only add, not modify atnt cellular services. So the easiest thing to do after u purchase your iphone at the apple store is head over to the nearest corporate atnt store. I did so, and they squared away everything, from sim card swapping, to data/txt plan designation to the proper phone numbers, etc etc, basically anything that has to do with usage service for ur account and iphone. It'll make things easier for u, just doing it in person, over the phone is convenient, but u dont get the reassurance you get from in store, imo. hope this helps, go get that iphone!

7. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Same thing happened to me. A call to AT&T fixed it.

If i were you, knowing that the AT&T stores don't have them in, i'd try the Apple store since they apparently have them. If you have the time, try it. Worse case, then you'll have to go to AT&T and order it. If Apple or AT&T mess up the plan stuff, you can always call and get it fixed.

8. grimreaper1377 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Looks like I'll be getting one from an apple store and going to an at&t store to get everything resolved.

Thanks.