iPhone X Buying iPX in US in 2 weeks, Live in UK....Where to buy AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nickosbad, Apr 10, 2018.

1. nickosbad macrumors regular

Hi all

As the title suggests I'm planning on buying an iPhone X in 2 weeks when I go on Holiday

I live in the UK but can save £250 by buying from the US

In terms of Apple Care, If I choose to buy this do I buy it in the US or when I get back in the UK from UK Apple Website?

I would need to be covered in the UK Only really so not sure if a US purchased plan would cover m over here

Cheers

Nick

2. Vinegar Tom macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 10, 2018 ---
    I couldn't advise about AppleCare, but whatever you do don't bring a boxed, unopened iPhone out of the US and back-into the UK. You'll get hit for taxes. Ditch the box, and set the phone up as if it's your everyday phone. My mate didn't do this and Customs caught him.

3. nickosbad thread starter macrumors regular

I’ve never had an issue with customs ever and been to the US every year for the last 15 years

Bought My iPhone 8 & Apple Watch back in Sept, and in previous years brought back a PS4, iPad etc

I guess it depends on the time of day, flight and where you’re coming from, I’ve never seen them stop anyone coming back from Orlando

4. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

AppleCare+ is global so you can buy it in the US and still have coverage in the UK.

Easiest way is to buy AppleCare at the time of purchase.

If for any reason you can't, you can do it online through checkcoverage.apple.com instead. It will get you to run a diagnostic and then you pay.

5. ericwn macrumors 68020

You were lucky.

6. lemmiwinkles2016 macrumors member

Looks like my partner and I have been lucky too with the last 10+ years of US travel. 99% of the time the ‘Nothing to Declare’ area isn’t even manned. 10 years of bringing back at least 3 or 4 big ticket item electronics. iPads/Watches/Surface Tablets/Motherboards/GPU’s etc.

The only time I ever see customs officers is when it’s a European flight, because they’re there to check low hanging fruit like cigarette/alcohol allowances.

Funnily enough when I bought my DSLR in Japan (£300 cheaper), they stapled a receipt to a page in my passport for customs (as they operate tax-free for tourists)... which I promptly removed.

7. bkrbyndr macrumors member

bkrbyndr

I bought my Apple watch series 3 from USA with Apple care from Apple store. I liive in Sweden. And it covers my Apple care here in Sweden too. Never had a problem.

8. YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

They would not even look at it unless you have it sealed in a box, they would not know if you had it when you left or not.

Custom usually check for "brand new stuff".

Bought an iPhone X an AC+ a couple of weeks ago in the US, came back in Italy and no check at all, they only checked some luggages, but the phone was in my poket.

9. Kerry78 macrumors regular

Kerry78

Just send the empty box home at a us post office using USPS jobs a goodun

If the covers cheap get it covered in the USA to cause I think its worldwide warranty now but do check first to make sure good luck

10. ericwn macrumors 68020

I have a German passport and have been travelling internationally on business trips for more than a decade. I have been stopped numerous times by customs officers in the US and the UK.

There seems to be a mindset with certain folks that it’s ok to smuggle stuff in and to advise others on the internet that it’s no problem.

I would still exercise caution.

11. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Apple's warranty status will when a device was purchased. Just enter the serial number.

12. pika2000 macrumors 601

Get Applecare together with your iPhone. Applecare coverage is international (where Apple has official presence with authorized service centers or Apple stores).

13. YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

Are you seriously telling me that the airport customs are gonna go trought the troubles of checking serial numbers? That would be insane :D

If you instead are talking about Apple checking for warranty, well that's worldwide, so they can check all they need :D.

14. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If you've been selected for secondary screening, why not? It's just a website click away.

People working in customs understand the same desires of regular people.

15. YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

It is news to me, I travel a lot and got lots of screening for that reason, never ever had anything like that, but good to know.

16. riteshritesh macrumors member

A phone shown in the xRay screening of your bags, can get one picked for inspection. As suggested, get the phone working and in your pocket to avoid Customs mess.
    That being said, if the apple care is cheaper in your country buy it on your return, else buy it with the phone. Here in India, it is cheaper than US and we have till 1 year to buy it,so all my US purchased phones have the 2nd year warranty extention from India.

17. VapourH2O macrumors newbie

Applecare Plus for iPhones are not international. I have bought a iPhone 7 Plus in US together with Applecare plus, I couldn't get any service in Hong Kong Apple Store, they say AppleCare Plus is limited to the country you purchase from.

But you can try purchasing the phone in US, and bring it to UK Apple Store to purchase the Applecare Plus in UK, that might work as the AppleCare Plus (for iphones and ipads) is limited to the country you purchase from.