Buying Molex to 6 pin PCIe adapter for Mac Pro 1,1, confused about which to buy

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Novablas, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Novablas macrumors member

I messed up my 4890 with a bad bios flash and now don't have a spare graphics card that doesn't require a power cable (like the 7300). So I need to buy a molex adapter to use one of the Superdrive power supplies to power my 8800 gt while the 4890 is plugged in. However there are so many different brands and formats, can anyone tell me where they get theirs or just which specific type of adapter I need to use? Does male or female matter? Are the cords connected to the superdrive 4 pin? It's all quite confusing.

Further, most of these adapters say 2 ports power only 1 pcie 6 pin port, will I need both of my superdrives disconnected to power my card or will 1 suffice? I've tried looking at Cindori's Superdrive guide but it has very little in the way of specifics for someone who has never done this before.

Finally, when I was messing around trying to clean the lens on one of my superdrives, I found that the cable that isn't ribboned that is attached to it was very hard to disconnect, almost as if I wasn't supposed to. Is this the case for factory supplied superdrives or am I supposed to be forcing it really hard?

2. chych macrumors member

Not an answer to your question, but my x1900xt boots mac os x (not windows) without its power cable connected, and I flashed my 4870 with only one power cable connected (and the other in the x1900xt, in Windows, using ATI winflash). Might help!

3. cured.not.dried macrumors member

i did something similar to chych except in freeDOS

the error regarding proper power cables for the cards doesn't appear until you boot an OS other than DOS

oh, and molex cables are a b*tch and a half to unplug, my fingers always hurt afterward

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

QFT