Buying more RAM for C2D 2.16GHz iMac. 2gb (matched) VS 2.5gb (unmatched)??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cutsman, Jun 3, 2007.

1. cutsman macrumors regular

So i'm looking to buy more RAM for my C2D 20" iMac. It currently has the 2x 500gb that came with the computer and I find it gets bogged down somewhat frequently. I usually like to work with multiple applications running (adium, mail, safari, itunes, photoshop, aperture, word etc) and I find it slows down quite a bit when I have some of these running simultaneously.

Now i'd like to know which would be a better way to go. Buying 2x 1gb sticks (CAD$140), or buying 1x 2gb stick (CAD$199) and use it along with one of my existing 500mb sticks?

From my searches, I realize there is an incremental performance improvement by using matching RAM.... on the other hand, if i go the route of buying a 2gb stick, my iMac would have 2.5gb ram, vs 2gb, which may or may not make up for the difference of not having the ram matched (i have no clue).

Which one would you guys choose and why? Would performance 2gb + 500mb be noticeably better (assuming I'm running a lot of apps) than having 2gb (matched ram)?

Thanks.

2. polevault139 macrumors 6502

The whole matched pair thing is for computer with integrated graphics (Macbook, Mini, low end iMac) so you should be fine putting that memory in there.

3. andrewheard macrumors regular

You can get 2 x 1GB for much less than $140 in Canada. Crucial is a great brand and Canada Computers offers each stick for $41.99. They also have Corsair for $43.99 and Kingston for $46.99 if you prefer either of those brands.

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

I would say you get the 2 GB stick and leave the 512 MB in there so you have 2.5, which will alway be better than two.

5. milky23 macrumors regular

I've heard from many that more ram is almost always better than trying to get matched pairs. 2.5gb > 2gb