Buying my iPad finally!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SaltSlasher, Jan 16, 2011.

1. SaltSlasher macrumors member

Well I am going to buy me an iPad tomorrow or tuesday if not open.
    I decided not to get a laptop until I start my computer science classes next year for my Computer Engineering degree.
    So I decided to get a tablet for a toy, and was set on an archos pad, until I went in search of one to try, and by god they are a big disappointment compared to what people say.

BestBuy had the iPad and the Archos 7, and the iPad is better than half the laptops there, the ipod is better than half the Android tablets! I wouldn't even consider wasting $300 on one them, I rather get an iPhone, 3DS or PS3!

So I know that the new iPad is coming and I dont want to ask if I should wait. I do want to know of all improvements that has been reported or rumored.
    The current iPad offers me everything i need and more, by getting the new wifi printer and apple tv, I will increase its use.

What I know from research is that 600,000 units were made by foxconn and they are all in firmware testing stages. The new additions are the new screen with retinal scan, dual-camera, then supposedly usb, sd, stylus and some other rumors. It is said that February is a hope while April's scheme of apple devices is a more likely possibility.

So is this information accurate, because I wouldn't wait till April, maybe February but only if the USB and SD thing is true, but even then I really don't need it!
    Anyways I can't wait to get mine!

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

If you waited this long, then might as well wait another month or two. Upgrade wise, while maybe not all the rumors will be true, many will be and should be worth the wait, AT THIS POINT. In theory the next ipad will be about double of what it is now, so why pay for half the specs now and at the same price of what "could be".

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your chaos in your post suggests you want an iPad now. Nothing is confirmed as far as the next gen goes so buy now if you like what you see.

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

5. Love macrumors 68000

Love

By the way - the screen doesn't have a retinal scanner. You mean a "retina" display, which is basically just a way of saying it's such a high resolution screen that individual pixels are not visible to the naked eye.

6. SaltSlasher, Jan 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011

SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

**IF there is a jailbreak around this or some way please let me know, I really want the iPad***

Geez, once it find something to good to be true, it probably is.

I could live without flash, it would suck, but not super important.
    Not having Java has come to my attention, and is a complete deal breaker!

I do online classes, and every college in Utah uses the same system, cause I click on my school when going in, and its called UEN, it uses Java, and you can not log unless javascript in enabled. According to Mac Chat, java can not be used on the iPad not even in a JVM.

Well I guess I can always just check my email on it? I can't believe that for a tablet that is far superior can't even do flash or java, two basic things for using the internet.
    This means, I will be getting the Archos 101, even though I feel that apple made the better tablet.

So pretty much I had it backwards, the iPad can't do everything the Archos can. And the archos can do everything the iPad can, and much more.

It might not have the better touch, but hell at least I can do my thang and thats all that matters in the end!!

I am upset, that was what I wanted, but I guess its not what I need.

There is no point in getting a cheap tablet just cause I can't log into school! The iPad will just have to do!!

This means, Math, English and Music class probably can't even be accessed either! They are used through the myPearson site which is different, but I will have to inspect to see if they use java or flash :(

7. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Get the iPad. Don't look back. You will enjoy it. It is amazing!!!!!!!

8. SaltSlasher, Jan 16, 2011

I will go to the mac store and check all my major websites to see if any of them work.
    Even if the iPad can't do the internet for anything I need. It offers enough for it to be a toy for me, which is what I originally wanted. I guess it will be my $500 ebook reader!

Is the "iSlate" going to be the "iPad 2"???

9. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

there is a new ipad coming out very soon why wouldn't you just wait you will get more features for the same price.

10. SaltSlasher thread starter macrumors member

Well the iPad has really cool stuff, and it looks like I am going to have to wait.

I just don't know if I want it anymore. There are probably more things that will not work, i guess if I forget about using the internet then I should be fine.

The Droid tablets are impossible to get anyway, and even if I tried one, I would probably come to the same conclusion as the one at best buy.

So I will wait, and wait till I can try something, because I won't buy nothing until I try. Because every store has a restocking fee of 10%+, so I ain't going to mess around.

It is sad cause I thought the iPad was the answer to my dream :(

11. vinum0908 macrumors newbie

A few things:

- Apple has ended restocking fees, so you can return without having to pay them

- Buying a new iPad from the Apple Store is just plain foolish, since it sounds like you're on a budget. The refurbished models online at Apple's website have a significant discount ($429 vs $499 for the 16GB WiFi version, for example) and there is no difference between the refurbs and new models-- the warranty period is even the same, and Apple replaces the battery, aluminium back, etc. so it looks brand new.

- I'm a college student too, and I know the iPad is cool, but you really need a laptop. Not being able to access Blackboard, WebCT, and other university/class online resources is a big deal.

- If you ARE dead-set on a tablet, the Archos 101 would probably be your best bet. If you tried the Archos tablets currently in store in Best Buy (the Archos 5/7/9), then know that the new models (Archos 70 and 101) are COMPLETELY different. They have much faster 1GHZ processers and capacitive multitouch screens. Not as responsive as the iPad, but still pretty good for the price. And it runs Flash.

12. Xeperu macrumors 6502

At my uni we have the Blackboard mobile plugin. Works insanely well with the iOS Blackberry client.

Also, in my student day I had my student email (IBM iNotes) set up to send a copy of every incoming email to a sane mail client (gmail in my case). Worked fine. Guessing this would work on the iPad now as well. (Currently using Faculty Uni mail via Exchange).

13. SaltSlasher, Jan 16, 2011

I have a desktop, and the school is about a 5 minute commute if I don't get the red light at bangerter highway. The school has several computer labs which I use for quick email and blackboard checks then printing also.

So the archos 7 home tablet at bestbuy was just crap and unuseable.
    But the iPad was so smooth and it just seemed that every app was meant to be on the iPad, so ebooks w/dictionary, Keynote/pages n stuff work flawless with out keyboard, comic reader was cool, games played good and just overall I thought it would be perfect for what I needed.

My plan was to be able to open my math class see the problems and type them in. English, I would look at the assigned reading pg. which I will read from the book and type up using Pages, Music and Political Science I just wanted to open the browser so I could read the daily and weekly readings and then type up my report with the pages app.

So there is no way around math class, the english class can be easily done either way, Music class I just got the code w/ebook so it would be nice to read the stuff on my tablet but I still could type up papers, lastly political science I have the book but there is a lot of info inside the blackboard so it and math are no gos.

Archos 101 if I can order one, maybe I can try it out and see if its actually good. I know from my droid phone, that I can get an app for about everything I would get in the iPad.
    There was just a few things I couldn't find, but I am sure is there. So if the archos can type up a paper well, then I would be sold on it!
    cause no flash/java/python/all third parties=a lot of missing useful things.

I am sure if all the google apps work on the archos 101, then the keyboard should be fine. Because my touchscreen on my Droid 1 sucks, and with a app download, it became like the newer keybaords like on the incredible.

14. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

iPad uses Java script, which does not create applets. Java script resides within the HTML documents. Please do NOT confuse the two. (Java and Java Script) You probably can log onto your university sites.

The problem that you may have with the math however is there is a site that uses Active X. Which is developed by Microsoft, works only in IE, and is such a security risk the MS disables it by default. My daughter had to deal with that crap.

I have NEVER had a problem logging onto a website using my iPad. I have used my iPad to do online banking, buying and selling securities, 401K management, paying my auto insurance, using my health insurance website (benefits explanations and list of doctors by certain criteria), and buying products from online retailers.

But oh ****, it doesn't play a video on a poorly designed website. Like I really care about that.

Goto the Best buy or Apple Store and log into you Uni website using an iPad.

15. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Lol at all these blatant Apple stockholders congratulating you on your pending purchase.

Wait goddammit, man. Have patience. The new iPad cometh.

16. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Stay away from the Apple store

Once you go in, it is intoxicating and you might just end up buying something you will be sorry you have in 45 days. Use a yellow legal pad for awhile.

17. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

iPad runs Javascript just fine. If you are worried I suggest either you or a friend with an iPhone try to use it to log onto the network. If you can do it with an iPhone you can do it with an iPad.

(sort of off topic but) apparently there is a Java VM + compiler for iPhone (so should work on iPad too). Not tried them myself though. http://iphoneroot.com/tutorial-install-java-on-the-iphone/
    Command line only obviously but this will be fine for what you will do in your CS classes. Just hope you realise how lucky you are! :D I would've killed for a tool like that when I was at university!!

18. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Java and JavaScript are two completely different things. iOS supports JavaScript as part of Mobile Safari, it does not support Java, which is a software platform and programming language.

19. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

not true - see ^^ (you will need to jailbreak though)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP,
    you seem to be all over the place with this thread. Since failed to provide a cohesive post. My suggestion is to wait.

From your posts you want an iPad 2 but don't want to wait so you're thinking of settling for an iPad 1, but you initially looked at the archos tablet because it presumably had the specs you needed for school.

If the iPad is unable to access the sites/software you need for school, then don't buy it. Why get a "$500 ebook reader" as you posted. There are other tablets coming to market and waiting will give you the benefit of finding one that fits your requirements.

If you have to jailbreak the iPad just to get some of the functionality you require, then I don't think the iPad is a good fit for your stated needs.

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Well then, how can we use the iPad to access information about the Genesis device?

22. JAG77 macrumors member

Where did you 600,000 units were made? Also I won't lie.. the term retinal scan made me giggle softly to myself. And I haven't heard about a stylus rumor since before the ipad 1 was released..

I'm going to have to agree... Wait, since it doesn't seem like you know what you need yet..
    Just be like me and get the ipad 2 at launch :)

23. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Its simple.....just wait!!

Your butt hole is gonna be on fire from all the waiting, but just spray it with some cold water and wait dude.......just wait.

24. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Retinal scan made me giggle. I used to work at a place in the mid-90's that required those to get into the server room.

Don't think we'll be seeing a "retina display" (read: marketing term), but I'd be happily surprised if they up the resolution.

25. SaltSlasher, Jan 17, 2011

Sorry for my irrational comments I was pissed, my apologizes. But overall I realized that the iPad was the device I always wanted, even when I was looking at laptops I kept going back to the TM2t for the tablet.

Well, I was given a lot of incorrect information about the iPad, alot.
    Apparently when I asked if there was any way shape or form, for me to use all of my school stuff, whether its java, flash or any other third party.

I finally posted something that wasn't on a Mac or Droid site, and on a bias term, a guy told me that their are "teamviewer" apps, which would allow me to run my desktop anywhere. He gave me some other tips and told me that there is a way around everything!

So this "desktop connect, jump desktop, and a whole bunch more" solves every problem I could ever imagine, because it would literally be a shruken down desktop!!!

From what your saying, since I have not been waiting a couple of months like some people, If I just started waiting now, I would have my iPad 2 in a ricky tick?

Well I figured my plan.

I will wait till Feburary 1st to hear the announcment of the iPad 2, and from what I just read there are three options: wifi, UMTS and CDMA.
    And there will be two different sizes.

So if there ready to start getting iPads sold for the next set, I would hope to hear of a release date of Feb. 1st on that day!

But to not wait to hear all the facts would be completely dumb, even though I really want to buy one right!!!

So it looks like I will be camping out at the Mac Store this year!