Buying new 13" MBP... any way to get discounts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LelandT50, Dec 10, 2015.

1. LelandT50 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm about to go to grad school and need a new computer... obviously i'll be buying a MBP. Is there any way to get it cheaper? I remember seeing a while back that you could use Apple pay at certain locations and it would save a large percentage. Thanks in advance guys.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i always bought my mac directly from apple, but just got a new macbook pro from https://www.powermax.com
    they've been around a long time (and i googled reviews as well). free ship, no tax, and they gave me a deal on applecare.
    so overall, saved about $285. not bad; and this is my 8th (!) mac...

3. CE3 macrumors 6502a

If you have a Discover card you can get 11% cash back (or more depending on your card type) for all in store Apple Pay purchases until 12/31. I used it at the Apple Store in October for my 6S Plus. I'm still waiting for the cash back to post. I guess it takes a few billing cycles, so I should get it in a few days.

4. LelandT50 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

i thought that 'cash back' meant you could use that amount towards your next purchase with that card. no?

6. CE3 macrumors 6502a

You can use the cash back bonus towards future purchases with partners like Amazon, but you also can get an electronic deposit or statement credit. I'm choosing the statement credit option (mine should be around $110), as I still have about 500 left to pay.

7. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

got it (and good to know)...

8. ajay96 macrumors 6502

I paid $1199 ($1302 w/ taxes) for my base model MacBook Pro last week. I ended up taking up their financing option with the Barclaycard anyway.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You could pick up a refurbished model.

I actually used to work at PowerMax. They're a good group of people.

10. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

As iPhone sales continue to soften we may see similar trends across other models. Premium pricing on Apple products is not going to last forever.

11. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

seriously, people have been saying that for 20 years (and will probably be saying it for the next 20)...

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Only those who watch retail sales trends.
    Apple didn't discount ever.
    Then they setup Best Buy as a sale price clearinghouse. That's been great for Apple since most of their customers haven't figured that out yet.

13. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

3rd party resellers have always had discounts that Apple didn't offer.

14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Education discount??? The OP is a student....

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Grad school? Education discount. I thought everyone and their mother knew about it by now, Apple's been offering it for at least 15 years.

16. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Check dealnews.com daily for Mac specials.

Also, check portableone.com
    I received an excellent price and fast service from them when I bought a new Mini.
    They also can special-order configurations, as well.

(no affiliation with either of the above, other than being a satisfied customer)

17. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My Discover account (standard/classic card) is only showing 5% with Apple Online, no 11% and it says you get the bonus within 10 weeks. Another benefit of buying with Discover is the doubled manufacturer warranty so you get 2 years (one covered by Apple, one by Discover) with no additional money outlay, making the $300 for AppleCare not really worth it unless your money is SO tight that you can't afford to front the money for repairs then get reimbursed.

18. CE3 macrumors 6502a

It's a 10% cash back promotion that runs through the end of the December and only in store Apple Pay purchases are eligible. I get an extra 1% because of the card I have, but cards with double cash back can get up to 20%.
    Here are the cards eligible for the promotion:
    https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/help-center/faqs/apple-pay.html#q22

19. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

None of which is mine, nor do I have Apple Pay since I don't have an iPhone. But, I'm not the OP that is shopping for a computer.

20. High Desert macrumors regular

Funny thing is, Apple discounts are miserably low. I was looking into an employee discount as I am an IBM retiree and IBM / Apple have an affiliation now. Employee discount for a macbook pro was $70. Incredible....education discount, $100, veterans discount, $100, on sale at SimplyMac, $150 discount, then Best Buy had a $100 discount. Guess where I bought mine.

21. coorsleftfield macrumors newbie

Buy from some place that discounts and doesn't charge tax if you live out of state. I bought mine from b&h photo.

22. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Add your Discover card to Wallet of a friend's or family member's iPhone and use iPhone to pay for it.