Buying new 2011 Air and confused by this forum. What about the 10% fee? Please help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 26, 2011.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Looking into a new 13" or 11" Air. There are so many threads about which display is best and which SSD is faster. I am confused as hell. What should I ask the Apple employee when buying one? Should I go with Samsung display and SSD or Toshiba? Will Apple tell me what I'm getting before paying? I don't want to pay the 10% restock fee because it's not the right one in the box. Please help?

2. misterneums macrumors 6502

Anyone at Apple will say they are all the same. Unless you are a power user--more than likely you will not be able to tell the difference between the SSD speeds. You may notice a clarity difference with the screens--but even that is all up in the air.

Basically a lot of the grovelling on this forum is by fanboys/girls who dislike one brand in favor of another.

3. bigp9998 macrumors regular

There is no restocking fee, nor is there any way to tell what is in the box without opening it and turning it on. Technically you can bring it home and check it (or even check it in the Apple Store) and then switch it out no questions asked, but it probably doesn't matter.

4. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

5. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

There isn't a tangible difference between both SSDs really, everything loads just as fast. This difference will only be slightly noticeable when moving large amounts of storage from a place to another, for example. Still very fast so I wouldn't worry.

And Apple removed the restocking fee a long time ago. Buy it and if you don't like it, take it back within a 14-day period.

6. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

7. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I'm on a 2008 13" MacBook Pro with a OCZ Vertex Turbo SSD. I don't plan on doing a lot of heavy lifting on the Air, but I do want to get the proper hardware for the same money.