Buying new AirPort Extreme. What cable modem to buy?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Squizzles, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Squizzles macrumors newbie

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U won't get 300Mb/s with your ISP. I like the Motorola Surfboards.

3. Squizzles thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point. I'm pretty sure we have the Comcast 50mbps. Is there a way to test speeds?

4. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Any benefit upgrading to new Airport Extreme with mid-2012 MBA

Will I see any benefit with the new Airport Extreme using mid-2012 MacBook Airs? I don't want to waste my money if I am not going to see any significant WiFi speed increases.

Thanks

5. rfrankl macrumors 6502

I got the Motorola Surfboard SB6141 from Best Buy recently. Very happy with it. Had DSL the prior 15 years. Oh what a difference.

6. Dalton63841, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013

Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

router speed is important for LAN operations(i.e. copying files between two home computers). Even old wireless G routers are more than enough for most households as far as internet speeds go. That having been said, if you just want a new modem, get the Motorola 6141 as suggested before. If you want something slightly cheaper, go for the Motorola 6121. It's still considered a top buy, even though it's last years model and both are future proof for some time to come.

7. San Lewy macrumors newbie

Preferably, one that works with your ISP.

8. djc6 macrumors 6502

I'm also very pleased with the SB6141 like rfrankl. I bought one for myself a couple months ago and replaced my sister's Cisco 2100 with an SB6141 last night.

The only issue is that there are two models, one with a black enclosure, and one with a white enclosure. Motorola will only warranty the white ones; the black ones are intended for ISPs to provide to their customers. They could also be used/refurbished. The white ones also come with a newer firmware - useful if you have a provider like Time Warner that doesn't push out updates normally. AFAIK, all cable modem updates have to come from the ISP, they are not user upgradable.

There are lots of threads on dslreports.com about white vs black enclosure, ISP firmware updates, etc. if you care :) but +2 on the SB6141 vote!

There are also occasional deals on this modem on slickdeals.net

9. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

What do you currently have for a router?

I upgraded the router in my house from an old Linksys 802.11g router to the new Airport Extreme. Between the addition of 802.11n and the 5GHz band, every device in the house saw a major speed increase (no device has 802.11ac). It really doesn't make a difference, but I also have a mid-2012 Air.

If you currently own a router that supports 802.11n and simultaneous 5GHz (basically anything made in the last few years), you probably won't see a speed increase.

10. Lance-AR macrumors 6502

But with beam forming you should see a stronger signal which may give a speed increase.

11. guitargoddsjm macrumors 6502

Only 802.11ac devices support beam forming.

12. crisg macrumors member

whatever modem you get will likely be hampered by your ISP's cap, and not your Airport Extreme. Cable modems & Routers of today have capacity far higher than our antequated ISP services, which lack innovation (come onnn Google Fiber!).

In other words, buy anyone that looks fine to you, and your ISP supports.

13. jlin615 macrumors regular

Been using SB6141 with AEBS for the last 6 month, all great so far.