Buying new furniture, steer clear of Ashley?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Feb 9, 2008.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

So, I made the mistake of suggesting to the Ms. that we may need new living room furniture. In no time I found myself locked into a several thousand dollar committment. Who knew furniture was so expensive!

Anyways, we visited Art Van, Peerless, and a few small shops around town, and we found one in particular that we both really like. It's a very nice sectional with several recliners and whathaveyou.

It is made by Ashley Furniture, a company which seems to get very bad reviews.

Needless to say, I am definitely rethinking my purchasing plans here.

Has anyone dealt with this company personally? If so, how would you rate your experience as a whole in terms of customer service, product quality, etc?

What brands should I be looking into? I am looking for a comfortable, fabric sectional (corner style) for less than $2000 if at all possible.

This is the one we were looking at, btw.

2. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

nice sofa-- my husband and i went there when we purchased our house (to hopefully furnish most of the house) and actually wound up walking out due to the lack of service; but, all store are different

did you actually go to the store? or find it online?

3. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Heh...we actually got our coffee table and two endtables from them. Not too bad. Stuff's at least alright, doesn't show any signs of breaking or anything.

I didn't go to buy them, so I can't say much about the store.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I realize you're far from this place, but we just bought some very nice couches from Room & Board.

They've got some really nice stuff, and even though there isn't one near you, you might get ideas as to what to look for. :eek: :)

5. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

My wife and I bought a sofa, loveseat two end tables with matching lamps and matching coffee table and an 8x5 rug all for 1200 bucks!

Our overall experience was a positive one. The customer wasn't over the top, but it was decent. We had free next day delivery too, which was really nice.

Our experience was good enough that we went back in a week and bought a new California King bed. :)

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the information so far everyone. :)

Is this an experience with Ashley Furniture, or did I read this wrong?

7. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

Any time my wife and I look at furniture, Ashley's is the first place we go so we know what NOT to buy. I have found that the construction is shoddy and the materials used are crap. I believe in purchasing quality, and Ashley's isn't the place to go. I want my new table or sofa to last longer than the payments do. That's just me, tho...

8. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I know most people find this unbelievable, but you really can find the best deals if you go to an interior designer. Not only do the prices end up being better, but it is a real time saver.

I'm having a local interior designer doing my new condo, and she's already picked out several new pieces for me. She found a beautiful wood desk that she quoted at $1,500 for me. I saw that same desk at a local furniture store this weekend priced at $4,900.

9. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy